Deeds to house

Wicklow

A family member completed all payments due on their mortgage. I am not too sure of the details but the loan was done through the town council - the house was built about 40 yr ago.
The issue is that the town council refuse to hand over the deeds of the house unless we arrange a solicitor to contact their solicitor. This might seem a minor issue but one that no doubt will result in additional cost.
Is this the norm?

Strange. They shouldn't need to consult a solicitor if the loan is completely repaid. If it was done 40 years ago I wonder if there was ever a transfer order done? It's hard to say why the council are requiring this, could they get on to their local councillor about the issue? A solicitor shouldn't charge much just to obtain their deeds as long as the title is in order but that is not the point really.

recently made final payment of my mortgage - bank sent out a form for us to decide where the deeds were to be sent ie give our solicitors name & address OR if we wanted them direct to our address. Bank then had proof of our decision, deeds arrived by reg. mail about 1 week later.
Bottom line = we had the choice !

The council should release the deeds once they are signed for and proper id is obtained, but councils like to work through their solicitors, who will probably charge a not insignificant fee. The mortgage will need to be vacated, the councils usually also charge for this and require the owners solicitor to draw up the discharge. If the deeds are not required I would suggest leaving them where they are. It is likely that the deeds consist of very little more than an out of date copy folio, an up to date one can be obtained from the land registry at any time. If the property is being sold or remortgaged then a solicitor will have to be employed and the deeds taken up.

Absolutely would do as Ramble suggests and save yourself the costs involved. If you received the deeds back you'd then have to find somewhere to keep them. Leaving them where they are eliminates the need for this too.

Thanks for your comments, im getting part of the land signed over later this year for a self build so a solicitor will be required then, ill kill two birds with one stone. thanks again

Back