Deducting deposit for power-hosing/weeding paved garden...

irishbogger

Folks,
Friend (who is a tenant) has told me that his land-lady wants to retain some of his deposit for power-washing and weeding their paved back garden.

I don't have their lease to hand (will look through it later), but is this the norm?

Landlady is claiming that the tenants should have 'looked after' garden

You must be joking maybe she would like him to pay for her garden as well. As a landlord myself she cant do this - whatever is in the lease if I was your friend I would fight this It's the likes of her that give landlords a bad name.

My lease,which is a completely standard template,says that the landlord shall maintain the grounds.

Looks like my mate may be out of luck. From his lease:

point 3.17: to keep the gardens, patios and terraces(if any) including all driveways, pathways,lawns hedges, landscaping, ornamental features including water features neat, tidy and properally tended at all times and not remove any trees or plants

She might be within the letter of the law, but how mean spirited! Has he moved out, can he do it himself? Shouldnt cost more than €50, but such a land lady could produce a receipt for €300.

She might be within the letter of the law, but how mean spirited! Has he moved out, can he do it himself? Shouldnt cost more than €50, but such a land lady could produce a receipt for €300.

I agree.

He has offered to clean up the patio area himself, so let's see how it goes...

Looks like my mate may be out of luck. From his lease:

point 3.17: to keep the gardens, patios and terraces(if any) including all driveways, pathways,lawns hedges, landscaping, ornamental features including water features neat, tidy and properally tended at all times and not remove any trees or plants
Many leases have this type of clause making the tenant responsible for the upkeep of the garden. The tenants have the use of the garden and therefore should maintain it just as they do with the interior of the house.

My lease,which is a completely standard template,says that the landlord shall maintain the grounds.
Some landlords like to maintain the gardens of their property for several reasons -
they are keen gardeners and have time/enjoy this work,
it can allow the landlord more-or-less free access to the exterior of the house so that they can "keep an eye" on things (and their tenants) without too much problem;
the landlord values the garden highly and wants to ensure that it is not damaged by a non-gardening/non-green-fingered tenant.

Back