Health Insurance Decent VHI health plan for around €1500?

michaelm

Can anyone suggest a decent VHI plan for circa €1500 and also a better plan from another provider for similar money? . . for a 68 year old VHI customer (not me) with no real issues other than inertia and a fixed income (renewal 5th May).

michaelm,

What plan is this person on at the moment?

Here are 3 options with VHI to consider, 2 including a private hospital excess, 1 excluding a private hospital excess.

1. VHI One Plan Extra; price 1464pa; public,private and hi-tech hospital cover, no excess payable on admission to private or hi-tech hospitals.
No day to day cover. Price quoted applies from 1 May 2016.

2. VHI PMI 41 15; price 1254pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover; private/hi-tech excess 75 per admission, day case excess 50 per visit.
Good day to day cover included.

3. VHI PMI 37 13; price 1114pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, private/hi-tech excess 100 per admission, day case excess 100 per visit. No day to day cover included. Price applies from 1 May 2016.

Alternative option with Laya Healthcare;
4. Simplicity Plan; price 1087pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, private/hi-tech excess 100 x 2 max per year, day case 50 per visit.
This plan also includes cover for a private room in a private hospital. Good day to day cover included, first 100 not allowed, ie excess 100 for day to day cover.

[broken link removed]

Regards, Snowyb

Thanks for the reply. He is currently on some gold-plated plan that his employer was paying but they retired recently. My cursory look threw up Laya Flex 125 Plus and VHI Health Access [broken link removed]

I'll have a look at your link now.

Note; Health Access will increase to 1564pa from 1 May 2016. This is a good plan with full cover for orthopaedic surgery in private and hi-tech hospitals ie hip or knee replacement surgery. Not great day to day cover, 300 excess.

Simplicity plan would be a much better option than Flex 125 Plus. This is a new corporate plan since December 2015, which ticks all the boxes. A lot of people switched to Simplicity plan from high priced plans like Company Care Plus and Total Health Select. The price of a plan does not always
reflect the cover included, ie a cheaper price plan does not mean less cover.
This plan also has full cover for orthopaedic surgery in private and hi-tech hospitals.

Snowyb

+1 for Simplicity... if you can persuade them to make the big switch from VHI that's a great value plan from Laya.
Have had good experience customer service wise with Laya also if that's a concern.

Hi,
Sorry for high jacking this thread.
Spent the day going through the hia comparison and speaking with VHI but now even more confused than ever, hoping someone can offer some advice as my renewal is due in the next week.
Currently with VHI on Parent and kids plan, one adult, one young adult and one mid teenager, all healthy thank God although there is a family history of heart disease. Visits to GP are minimal so not concerned about added extras.
Live in the West and not concerned about having private room in private hosp, just want good care in teaching hospital if care required.
Apologies once more.
Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

priscilla,

VHI Adult options;
1. VHI PMI 37 13; price 1076pa, public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, 100 private/hi-tech excess only payable on admission for treatment or day case. No excess applies to any public hospital. No day to day cover.

2. VHI PMI 36 13; price 1247pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, 75 private/hi-tech excess payable on admission or day case. Good day to day cover included.
[broken link removed]

LAYA Adult options;
1. Simply Connect; price 1063pa, public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, 150 x 2 max excess per year for private/hi-tech admission, day case 50 per visit. Good day to day cover - max refund 300 per year per person.

2. Simplicity; price 1087pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, 100 x 2 max excess per year for private/hi-tech admission, day case 50 per visit. Private room in a private hospital cover included. Good day to day cover - first 100 not allowed.
[broken link removed]

Child Options; VHI and LAYA
1. VHI One Plan Family; price 138pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, 125 private/hi-tech excess on admission or day case. No day to day cover.

2. Laya Simply Connect; price 252pa; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, 150 x 2 max excess per year, 50 per day case. Good day to day gp etc cover included.
[broken link removed]

Young Adult Options
1. VHI One Plan; price depends on age; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, 125 private/hi-tech excess on admission or day case. No day to day cover.

2. Simply Connect; price depends on age; public, private and hi-tech hospital cover, 150 x 2 max excess per year, day case 50 per visit. good day to day cover.
[broken link removed]

Good savings to be made, you can choose different providers if it suits.
Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Snowby, thank you so much for your very informative reply, I will go through all your recommendations and see what best suits me.

Steven, thank you also for your offer but I might just go through Snowby's recommendations and make a decision on that, appreciate reply all the same.

Cheers too Moneybox :)

Well Mrs Doyle's 'tea machine' sprung to mind when I read S barrett post, wouldn't want to do Snowby out of a job :p

Hi - I am looking for advice as I have recently returned to live in Ireland having lived in the US for many years. ALthough familiar with private health insurance I'm not exactly sure what I should be looking at for cover for myself as I'm female, aged 62 and have a few pre-existing conditions which I believe get covered after 5 years. I checked out the HIE website for comparison of all the health plans but again just not sure which would be a good fit for me so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Hello Mary Tuohy,

Welcome back to Ireland and also to AAM.

First of all, as a recently returned emigrant to Ireland, you have 9 months to choose a health insurance plan, to avoid any loadings in the future.
The 9 months starts from the date you returned.

As you already stated, hospital care for your pre-existing conditions will be covered under health insurance after 5 years.
So any new conditions will be covered after the 6 months new customer waiting, which applies when you take out health insurance for the first time. Accident and injuries are covered in this initial 6 months.

On a positive note, Laya Healthcare have no age related waiting times for plans that include day to day medical expenses cover, for example part refunds for gp visits, consultant visits, dental, physio etc. This section of cover is allowed straight away, so for that reason I would recommend this company.

There are 3 types of hospital in Ireland as follows;

1. Public Hospitals ; Mater Public hospital, Beaumont, St James, St Vincents Public, and so on. These hospitals are also centres of excellence for different conditions. They also have Accident and Emergency departments. They are accessible by the general public without health insurance, either on gp referral - no a + e charge applies or self referral 100 euro a+e charge applies. If a person has no health insurance or no medical card, there is
a 75 euro charge per night, if admitted for overnight stay, max per year 75 x 10 = 750, regardless of the length of stay over 10 nights.

2. Private hospitals; Examples Bons Secours, Hermitage Lucan, St Vincents Private Elm Park, and others.
These hospitals are mainly for elective surgery and treatment, on gp referral to consultant. Health insurance plans including private hospital cover
are necessary to cover surgery costs, otherwise surgery costs must be settled in advance.

3. Hi-tech hospitals; Examples Mater Private, Blackrock Clinic and Beacon Hospital.
Likewise, these hospitals are for elective surgery, on gp referral to consultant. Higher level plans are required to fully cover these hospitals.
But there are lower cost plans that also include hi-tech hospital cover, with a shortfall payable if you choose. These hospitals also have private
a+e departments.

The following plan with Laya Healthcare covers 3 levels of hospital above, plus good day to day cover which is covered straight away.
Details as follows;

'Laya Control 300 Create; price 1039pa; public, private and hi-tech hospitals covered, 300 excess payable on admission to private or hi-tech hospital,
day case excess 125 private/hi-tech. No excess applies to any public hospital. Good day to day cover, 30 refund per gp visit, 80 per consultant visit, etc.

[broken link removed]

This is a good starting point, cheaper plans would have less or no day to day cover. More expensive plans would be no benefit to you, due to
the 5 year waiting time.

Regards, Snowyb

Last edited:
Hi snowyb

Thank you so much for your very detailed and informative response as well as the Laya Health plan info, which is so greatly appreciated and for which I will look into for sure.

Tx again!

Back