Decent car for €2500?

Sarah

Anyone know if and where you could get a car for around €2000 - €2500. By decent i mean in working order thats been serviced, NCT ect? It will be a learner car so dont want to spend too much as its only for short distances that cant be walked.
Thanks a mill

Sarah

Re: Decent car for €2500???

hello mate
i would recommend u to go to a garage who can give u 6 months warranty..rather be safe or have ur hard earned 2.5 k down the drain...

Anything small and japanese is a good bet. Micra, Starlet etc. Pick up a 97 or 98 for 2.5k

hey Sarah..to be fair and safe..get a mechanic to check the car for you.best if the car passed NCT

Anyone who posts their own car for sale will have their post removed (as has happened already).

My daughter is selling her Ford Ka (sale agreed at present so not advertising it). It does not have an NCT as it has been off the road for some time. We agreed to have it serviced before handing it over. 1997, very low genuine mileage, sold for 2K. Maybe you could strike a similar deal if the car you're looking at does not have an NCT?

Re: Decent car for €2500?

Sarah,

the advance search settings on the Car Buyers Guide website will allow you specify your price range:

You probably won't get much for €2500 in a garage - try using a mechanic to give car once over before you buy

Do not buy a car without an nct.
Get the seller to do the NCT before selling to you.
For 2500e you should easily get a reliable car with NCT passed.
Look at small ads in local press, supermarkets or ask locals or friends.

Might also be worth looking a touch above your price bracket as the advertised price is very seldom (if ever!) the real bottom line. A lot of cars advertised for €3k may be sold for a €2500 cash deal (if you keep an eye on the adverts [on websites, magazines etc.] a car which is there a few weeks has a good chance of going well under the asking).

If you have friends or family good with cars make sure they do a good inspection. If not, might be worth spending the couple of hundred euro on a mechanic to go over the car for you and save you spending the €2500 on a "lemon" (as it's known).

The best thing to do is use the car websites to begin, you can filter the cars to the price you want and throw in any other options (e.g. oldest car 95 etc.). This will show you what cars are in your range and then you can start to pick out the ones which you prefer from there.

The older you go the larger/more prestige/etc. the car you can get, but reliability (and future costs) tend to go up with age. The suggestion of a nice second hand japanese motor would be a good start (Nissan, Honda, Toyota etc.) but don't limit yourself too much until you get an idea of what you like/want.

I'd recommend buying privately if all you are spending is €2,500.

Line up a number of viewings for, say, a saturday and pay a mechanic you trust to do the rounds with you.

Meet the sellers at their house, i.e. avoid pub car parks etc even if they are doing it for 'your convenience'.

On the subject of NCT, an in-date disc does not guarantee that the car is okay!

When viewing, if you smell a rat then walk away. Can't describe this but...

Thanks a mill for all the replies...will get looking after christmas in the buy and sell. THe advice was a great help!

Thanks a mill for all the replies...will get looking after christmas in the buy and sell. THe advice was a great help!

i bought a great little car for 1900 its a peugeot 106 and its a 97 model with only 41,000 miles on it, just to give u an indication of what u can get for ur money. Try and stick with a one litre as well as the tax is cheaper.

Loads of good priced 2nd hand cars around at the mo.

Obviously NCT does not guarantee the car is in great condition but at least it is one less thing to worry about - would def get one with NCT.

When I was learning I got an Opel Corsa for under 2k & it is still being driven by a friend of mine (4 years later!) A lot of my friends bought Opel Corsa's for learning in, 95-97 and none of them had problems with them. Grand little car for learning in.

Best bet is to have a look in buy & sell.

Starlets are also v reliable.

Back