Debenhams UK Ireland prices

TLC

Went into the Debenhams "blue cross" sale yesterday & saw a Tripp cabin suitcase reduced to €64 but I'd already looked it up on the UK site, as they don't seem to have a proper Irish site, to find cabin luggage bag, which was advertised on the site as between £34 & £44 depending on the colour - why the huge price difference? I also looked up a pair of Jasper Conran jeans - €64 here & £44 in UK.
Going to Manchester soon & will probably take a ratty old bag going over & buy the bag & jeans over there!

Rip-off Ireland still alive & well.

Went into the Debenhams "blue cross" sale yesterday & saw a Tripp cabin suitcase reduced to €64 but I'd already looked it up on the UK site, as they don't seem to have a proper Irish site, to find cabin luggage bag, which was advertised on the site as between £34 & £44 depending on the colour - why the huge price difference? I also looked up a pair of Jasper Conran jeans - €64 here & £44 in UK.
Going to Manchester soon & will probably take a ratty old bag going over & buy the bag & jeans over there!

That works out at an effective exchange rate of 0.69 whereas the current rate of the euro to sterling stands at close to 0.88.

I have noticed though that a lot of shops that have dual priced stickers are now giving the Irish shopper a much more competitive exchange rate compared to when this issue was first brought to consumers attention a year or two ago.

Debenhams are notorious for this, we won't go in there in the South and wait until we are in the North if we want to get anything. They seem to have a bigger diifferential then other UK retailers

I dont blame you for shopping in the UK, when it is cheaper. But, Debenhams do not have a very high profit margin in Ireland, even if you want to blame them for "Rip-off Ireland". They, like all other retailers pay a lot more for their rent, electricity, heating, rates, and staff then in the UK. They are not the problem, the entire cost structure of our economy is the problem.

I understand the cost structure is a lot of the problem, but don't these companies benefit from our lower corporation tax - or am I mistaken? I would prefer to buy in Ireland, but I hate getting ripped off, which I think this is

Back