Death notices

bond-007 said:
Personally I feel that death notices are an unnessasary expense on an estate. Personally I can't see why anyone would want to announce such an event to the public.
I was surprised at the number of elderly friends of my mother who showed up at her funeral after reading the death notice in the paper, as was their regular routine.

bond-007 said:
Personally I feel that death notices are an unnessasary expense on an estate. Personally I can't see why anyone would want to announce such an event to the public.

Nobody in my neck of the woods misses a funeral unless they have no choice. The death notices are the most listened-to feature on local radio and the many people by the Irish Indo specifically to read the daily death notices.

Virtually every elderly person I know pays close attention to the death notices in their local paper. Must get some grim satisfaction in outlasting their acquaintances!

bond-007 said:

Because it's comforting to have people around you to help you get through the difficult time - to remember past times and the great person that is gone. It may surprise you but when someone close to you dies, you're not always in the mood to pick up the phone and ring everyone you know to inform them of the death. Some people need space when grieving - so the paper allows them to inform people of the arrangements for the funeral. The notice isn't for the public in general - it's for those who knew the deceased.

"unnecessary expense on the estate" - this isn't a business transaction - it's a funeral - to mourn the death of someone.

I would like to keep my demise a secert. I would not like it being announced on some crappy local radio station or in some small town rag.

bond-007 said:
I would like to keep my demise a secert. I would not like it being announced on some crappy local radio station or in some small town rag.
i think the benefit is felt by the mourners and not so much the person who died.

I think that acknowledging the passing of a friend or relative is fairly primal, especially in Ireland, and the gathering of friends and relatives of the deceased gives the family a sense of closure. I have had a couple of bereavements in the family and felt huge pride at the way people I didn't know felt it was necessary to come and express what they meant to them.

I also have missed certain funerals of friends' father etc and I felt mortified - Like i had not paid my respects.

Here's a possible business opportunity.....

I rely on my dear old Dad to keep any eye on the notices (it's the first thing he checks in the Indo each morning - "might as well see if I'm still alive" is the usual remark!) and if there's a funeral I or my siblings need to know about/send flowers/attend etc., he will ring and let us know.

Now, here's the thing, when the sad day arrives that my dear old Dad is no longer able for this, can someone set up a service that will scan the Indo for me for a series of surnames and send me on any hits? Or has someone already done this?

Would happily pay a sub for this - far more use to me than horoscopes or world cup results.

That is something we have thought about. However, it will most likely be a couple of months before we can do this. I would envisage a "search and send e-mail" by a town or county , as specific surnames would involve way too much input by the user, no?

Jemmi, surnames would be preferable I think - that's the way the death notices are listed and that's what prompts my dear old Dad to read the rest of the notice and check if "Smith, Joe" is related to us or just someone who happens to have the same name.

Re the number of surnames, hm...I'd be looking at about 6-8 surnames I think; don't think that's too onerous for a one off set up. I wouldn't expect to input all the first names though.

So I'd be looking to get an email of all the "Smiths, Jones, Greens" etc., who have death notices; they may or may not belong to me, but I can make that judgement when I read it.

The thing is that I would have to be certain that you would have all the major national papers covered?

Back