Dear Mr. Dumbrell....

Firefly

If you want to be treated like a human being, here's an idea.....act like a bloody human being!

Can you imagine how much this mallet-head has cost Mr. & Mrs. Taxpayer?

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...tate-over-treatment-behind-bars-34938339.html

Leroy Dumbrell launched a High Court legal action against the State, the Minister for Justice, the Irish Prison Service and the governor of Castlerea Prison.

...sources believe the dangerous thug will allege he was detained in inhumane conditions

He was transferred to Castlerea after he orchestrated riots in Mountjoy.....Three prison officers were injured when between 15 and 20 inmates armed with wood and metal bars became involved in a violent confrontation with the inmates....

Dumbrell has been disciplined for acts of violence and incitement to cause a riot, emptying his chamber pot on the prison landing....

Dumbrell.....is serving a seven-year sentence for stamping on a man and threatening to kill a garda.

He also admitted threatening to kill or cause serious harm to Ballymun-based Det Gda Ronan McMorrow on May 5 last year.

He is a member of one of Ireland's most notorious crime families.

And of course there is a Solicitor(s)/Barrister(s) with their hand out for legal aid egging him on. Parasites

And of course there is a Solicitor(s)/Barrister(s) with their hand out for legal aid egging him on. Parasites
We should be very careful before we start to undermine the presumption of innocence and access to legal representation.
I agree that some in the legal industry are greedy and unethical but the same applied to any other sector. Lawyers are just people, no better or worse, honest or dishonest, than people working in any other sector.

Some people seem to require constant access to legal aid, paid for by their fellow citizens who go out to work.
We'll agree to disagree on the Legal industry and those that work in it. Mostly bottom feeders IMO

We should be very careful before we start to undermine the presumption of innocence and access to legal representation.

I agree, but I think we should limit the number of times you can get free legal aid. Maybe 3 goes? After that the longer sentences might sharpen the mind!

Some people seem to require constant access to legal aid, paid for by their fellow citizens who go out to work.
The same can be said for Welfare and state institutionalised charty in general. (If you haven't paid lots of tax them your welfare is charity from your neighbours, not some inalienable right.)
We'll agree to disagree on the Legal industry and those that work in it. Mostly bottom feeders IMO
People who work in the legal industry are no better or worse than anyone else. Some of them genuinely think that they as a group are more honest and ethical than other sectors, say plumbers for example. I do have a problem with that. They also think their "professional" reputation is more important than the reputation of people in other industries. A carpenter or plasterer or electrician will be in my house when my children are there. There is no scenario in which a lawyer will ever be in such a position of trust.

I agree, but I think we should limit the number of times you can get free legal aid. Maybe 3 goes? After that the longer sentences might sharpen the mind!
So you will be faced with longer sentences at the same time you no longer have equal access to the resources to defend yourself?
What about the presumption of innocence and equality under the law?

Most of these initially costly challenges will become in time cost effective, in that.
1. it becomes recognised these are frivolous transactions and once adjudicated as such , prevent future frivolity.
or
2. There is a genuine case to be sorted in the system.

I too wonder at some of the cases, but am still on the side of let them have their day in court, until it is shown they are only messing.

So you will be faced with longer sentences at the same time you no longer have equal access to the resources to defend yourself?
What about the presumption of innocence and equality under the law?

Yes, I definitely think free legal aid should be available to normal, law abiding citizens regardless of means. However, for serious repeat offenders, I think there should be a limit. Longer sentences would help focus the mind!

Yes, I definitely think free legal aid should be available to normal, law abiding citizens regardless of means. However, for serious repeat offenders, I think there should be a limit. Longer sentences would help focus the mind!
At what stage does a "normal, law abiding citizen" become a "serious repeat offender"?
What about someone who is trying to turn their life around?
The system works on the basis that once someone has served their sentence they have paid their debt to society. They are then treated the same as someone with no criminal record for the purpose of how they are treated when accused of another crime.
There is a strong argument that sentences are too lenient and so that debt is not fully paid. That will not be fixed by subverting the presumption of innocence or equality under the law.

Vanessa ,
Yup an imperfect system , but as Churchill is reported to have said something along the lines of,{ Democracy is not much good but its better than the alternatives.} so too with leagal systems.

Back