Deadline given by PRTB

P

pat 2800

Hi ,I found this on the myhome website tonight.

"Remember that if you are not registered with the PRTB (Private Registry of Tenancies Board) you'll have no entitlement to any tax deductions on rental income for that tax year. Deadline is 1st October 2006 for 2006 tax year and it costs €70 per tenancy registered"

Should this be taken seriously or is it another half-hearted effort by the gov to squeeze more money from landlords.
From what I've read about the PRTB is seems nothing short of a shambles.

As far as I know it is not a hollow threat and the plan is that Revenue will only process/allow tax relief claims by landlords who are PRTB registered.

Allowing landlords to write off 100% of mortgage interest and other expenses against rental income is hardly squeezing money out of them?

One of my places is changing tenants at the moment and I will register this tenancy as soon as it is complete. But the other has been in residency for a number of yoears ( Before the PRTB ) do I still have to register that one or wait until new tenants move in ??

Buckshee said:
One of my places is changing tenants at the moment and I will register this tenancy as soon as it is complete. But the other has been in residency for a number of yoears ( Before the PRTB ) do I still have to register that one or wait until new tenants move in ??

If its not already registered , yes , it needs to be registered.

and see, this is the problem I have with the PRTB. I sent them a check when I finally got the tenant all organized, signed, personal details etc...(it wasn't at the top of my to-do list)

The check was returned with a note saying that as I was late, (must be within the first month i think) that I would have to pay double!

How can they say the deadline for registering is Oct 2006 for 75 euro when, If you have a renter in for the last year they will look for double that!

And where does this money go? Who is accountable for the spending of all this dough?

yankinlk said:
The check was returned with a note saying that as I was late, (must be within the first month i think) that I would have to pay double!

How can they say the deadline for registering is Oct 2006 for 75 euro when, If you have a renter in for the last year they will look for double that!
Was your initial registration late? If so then surely the penalty makes sense according to this:
4. How much is it to register a tenancy?

The fee to register a tenancy is €70. This is where the application is made within 28 days of the commencement of the tenancy. If the application is made later than this, the fee is doubled. ...
And where does this money go? Who is accountable for the spending of all this dough?
See here.

Back