Days off work for wedding.

The civil service gives you up to 5 extra days on your annual leave, but will only bring it to a max of 25 days, so if you normally have more than 25 days annual leave you get nothing.
Why?

It's because of such waste of tax payers' money, that the country is in this mess.

Did they get the day off even if they were not invited to the wedding?

Only seven in total in the office - so everyone was invited and went. Got a temp in for the day to man the phones, but everyone else was off.

I'm in the public sector and your annual leave is brought up the 25 for the year you get married.

I have never heard of anyone getting an extra week off to get married. People are expected to take it out of annual leave which is approx 25 for most admin grades.

Clerical Officers start on 20 days annual leave and Executive and Staff Officers on 21 days in the civil service, so these are brought up 25 days in the year of marriage. Anyone else whose leave is 25 days or over gets no extra leave for marriage

Why?

It's because of such waste of tax payers' money, that the country is in this mess.

In fairness theres a lot of private sector workers who get more as this thread shows, i.e.

• Banks 2 weeks
  • Small organisation 7 days plus €1,000
  • 3 days automatic (not dependant on what leave you have already)
  • 5 days
  • 5 days with optional unpaid leave.

That is waste too - after all, those costs feed into what we have to pay for our goods and services and means prices are higher than they otherwise would be. Maybe that's why the country is in a mess - an uncompetitive private sector ;)

Why?

Though you'd also have to consider the additional income generated by the state through VAT based upon the amount a wedding costs.

That is waste too - after all, those costs feed into what we have to pay for our goods and services and means prices are higher than they otherwise would be.

But of course this only makes sense if:
  • You feel that everything you buy is overpriced.
  • That you never get value for money.
  • ...and that you don't have choice.
I doubt the first two points are true. The third certainly isn't.

In response to J26's post

<<In fairness theres a lot of private sector workers who get more as this thread shows, i.e.

• Banks 2 weeks
  • Small organisation 7 days plus €1,000
  • 3 days automatic (not dependant on what leave you have already)
  • 5 days
  • 5 days with optional unpaid leave.
That is waste too - after all, those costs feed into what we have to pay for our goods and services and means prices are higher than they otherwise would be. Maybe that's why the country is in a mess - an uncompetitive private sector ;)>>

I would like to point out that the public in general have a choice to avail of the goods & services offered by private sector companies and can chose alternative suppliers if they so decide travel abroad, shop online. I have no choice but to pay for the waste is the public service for example
" I pay my own private medical insurance so why should i be burdened with additional 2% health levy, PPARS fiasco"
" If I've no children why should i pay for teachers long holidays and salaries"
If I live outside Dublin why should i have had to pay for massive LUAS overruns, Port Tunnell Fiasco and M50 Joke.

I've no job security, no guaranteed pension. The market decides what I'm worth and I've to prove it.

I do not get paid time off time in lieu for additional hours worked. I guarantee you that in many small and quite a few large oublic companies before and after preiods on time off you're working late most evenings to get your work done in advance - as much as possible as there is no one else to take up the slack - you live and die by your own sword, and there's no such thing as a free lunch -in the private sector!?!?

Incidentially my employer gave me 3 days additional leave when I got married but my pound of flesh is well and truly given

" If I've no children why should i pay for teachers long holidays and salaries"

Incidentially my employer gave me 3 days additional leave when I got married but my pound of flesh is well and truly given
option 1 set up your own country
are you saying that people who don't 'breed' should not have to pay that part of their income tax that funds education? those that pay private health insurance should not have to pay that part of their income tax that funds health?
did you really think before posting? how can any country exist without taxing all citizens? all this tied up in a rant about a small number of public servants being allowed a few extra days holiday when they get married that you yourself have been granted by your own employer!!

all this tied up in a rant about a small number of public servants being allowed a few extra days holiday when they get married that you yourself have been granted by your own employer!!
Tax payers' money (my money) should not be used to give public sector people extra, free, paid holidays.
I didn't get extra holidays for my wedding. I don't even get 20 normally, so why should I be forced to pay for public sector people to get extra?

It's wasteful and unfair.

Tax payers' money (my money) should not be used to give public sector people extra, free, paid holidays.
I didn't get extra holidays for my wedding. I don't even get 20 normally, so why should I be forced to pay for public sector people to get extra?

It's wasteful and unfair.

I didn't get any extra holidays for my wedding either, and I'm in the the civil service. By the way, public servants pay tax at the same rate as everyone else, so I also pay for public sector workers to get what this thread has established that many in the private sector also get.

I didn't get any extra holidays for my wedding either, and I'm in the the civil service.
The point is that no one in the public sector should get additional paid holidays for weddings.

By the way, public servants pay tax at the same rate as everyone else, so I also pay for public sector workers to get what this thread has established that many in the private sector also get.
I always think of this as a kind of zero sum game. Maybe it would be easier - less admin - if public sector people just got paid less and didn't pay PRSI/PAYE.
Many public sector people pay less PRSI than their private sector counterparts and public servants get paid more.

I'll indulge this little OT a bit.

• Yes, almost everything is overpriced
  • Yes, I rarely feel I get value for money
  • When it boils down to it, how much actual choice is there out there. Gant v Tricot Marine? - they're still geansai's. Seven different colours of toilet roll - who cares? Consumerism replaces freedom of thought with freedom to consume goods, and sells the message that you can only really be an individual by being like everyone else and buying X brand. It's actually difficult to resist because the pressure to conform to the consumption model is everywhere, so in fact there's less choice than you think.
And to get back to the issue I was addressing, if costs are higher, of course prices will be higher - why the hell else would Ryanair spend such effort on keeping costs down? Please don't give me the crap that the private sector deserve these perks because they work harder, while the public sector sit on their fat arses and therefore don't. That is simply not true.

I'll indulge this little OT a bit.

• Yes, almost everything is overpriced
  • Yes, I rarely feel I get value for money
  • When it boils down to it, how much actual choice is there out there. Gant v Tricot Marine? - they're still geansai's. Seven different colours of toilet roll - who cares? Consumerism replaces freedom of thought with freedom to consume goods, and sells the message that you can only really be an individual by being like everyone else and buying X brand. It's actually difficult to resist because the pressure to conform to the consumption model is everywhere, so in fact there's less choice than you think.
OK, so as I suspected, you don't seem to think that the 3 bullet points are true then. That's fine.:)

I'm a S class director, so this doesn't apply.
so you get the benefit of being able to claim a load of expenses against your income and probably end up with an effective tax rate of around 20%? and you complain about the tax system? :rolleyes:

there should probably be a new letting off steam thread where people like you can go and rant about the public service and the staff therein.

so you get the benefit of being able to claim a load of expenses against your income and probably end up with an effective tax rate of around 20%? and you complain about the tax system?
Please tell me which mythical expenses I can claim? - I'd love to know.
I wasn't complaining about the tax system, just the wasteful public sector. However, I'd far, far prefer to have my PAYE tax credits back, than the 'benefit' of these elusive expenses.

Ah but shure aren't ya a director ? Shure ya must be making a fortune etc.etc.etc.

Posts like that are ridiculous and pointless as everything is assumed and we all know what they say about assumptions.

As for dereko1969's response to tuirse, I think (not assume) that tuirse was being flippant and exaggerating to make a point. I doubt setting up their own country is quite that straightforward.

Back