Date of Presidential Election - why not next week

DB74

Haven't seen anything on this already but

Why wasn't the Election held next week when all the schools would be closed anyway?

I have no idea but is it not the case that schools have to open for a certain number of days in the year, so they will have to shorten a break somewhere else before the summer?

The Election has to happen within a certain timeframe of the previous one...next week would have been too late. Could have been earlier but not later than this week.

The Election has to happen within a certain timeframe of the previous one...next week would have been too late. Could have been earlier but not later than this week.

Have you got a link to that info

From what I can see, Mary McAleese will hold office until 11-Nov-2011 and the election must take place within the sixty days before the expiration of her term of office so next week would have been fine

Is it because many of the leading media presenters and journalists will be on holidays next week?

Why couldn't the election be held on a Friday? I know a few people who can't vote because they are working away from home.
And also, kids could have finished today instead of having a day off and then back in again for one day before the week off.

I have no idea but is it not the case that schools have to open for a certain number of days in the year, so they will have to shorten a break somewhere else before the summer?

Nope ... not in this case.

The school is requisitioned for the election and is closed under Rule 61.

The day doesn't have to be made up.

It is ridiculous to close schools when all next week was available for election use without a day's education being lost.

That being said ... a Friday or even a Saturday would have been better for all those who are away from home during the week.

Slightly OT but why are the majority of people working the polling stations either retired or employed?

In my centre today there were several people working there who are in their late 70s.

I find this incredible in a time when so many graduates etc.. are unemployed.

Slightly OT but why are the majority of people working the polling stations either retired or employed?

In my centre today there were several people working there who are in their late 70s.

I find this incredible in a time when so many graduates etc.. are unemployed.

People in their late 70's have to pay for the joy of living as much as the rest of us.

People in their late 70's have to pay for the joy of living as much as the rest of us.

well that 'joy' is more joyous for them than the current working population. After all, the retired are the only group to not have suffered cuts on their payments from the state thus far in the crisis. Those with civil service or semi-state pension also, have received no cuts to that source of income either.
Polling station work should have been given to the unemployed as opposed to retirees or civil servants moonlighting

Its to make it harder for the students to vote - at least thats my conspiracy theory.

It's not hard for students to vote today, they just need to be on the register where they are ordinarily resident. Enough notice was given for people to move their vote, it can always be changed for the next election.

On the timing..don't have the link to hand...I did see it somewhere though..will dig it out if I can

well that 'joy' is more joyous for them than the current working population. After all, the retired are the only group to not have suffered cuts on their payments from the state thus far in the crisis. Those with civil service or semi-state pension also, have received no cuts to that source of income either.
Polling station work should have been given to the unemployed as opposed to retirees or civil servants moonlighting

That's not correct regarding public sector/semi state pensions - all occupational pensions are liable to the Universal Social Charge which is a tax on income .

That's not correct regarding public sector/semi state pensions - all occupational pensions are liable to the Universal Social Charge which is a tax on income .

There was no drop in their Gross income though

Most others have suffered BOTH a drop in Gross Income AND an increase in tax payable

There was no drop in their Gross income though

Most others have suffered BOTH a drop in Gross Income AND an increase in tax payable

I'm not with you - what current pensioners have seen their Gross income drop with the exception of Public Sector pensioners receiving more than €12,000 per annum who saw their pensions reduced on a progressive rate beginning at 4% as a result of December 2010 budget ?

I quite agree with you - the vast majority of occupational pensioners have seen their nett income decrease due to the USC , both private , semi state and public sector pensioners.

Back