Dartmouth Square

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkeyboy

Anyine here this guy on the radio after ABP ruled that he could not turn the site into a car park?

he was saying its my land and I should be able to do what I want with it and crying like a baby...no concept it seems of why we have planning laws.

Id love to erect a sub station or telecoms tower adjacent his bedroom window and use his arguement for my defence.

When he goes to the planners go....Hhhhhhhaaaaaaa!! thats what they is for!

Pratt!

Impossible. He lives in an old Georgian mansion near Athlone.

Anyone listening to the Last Word interview with him on Today FM - where he talks of his "inalienable constitutional right" to park his car on his land? They've been using it as one of the adverts for Matt Cooper.

First - it isn't a constitutional right.
Secondly - it is not inalienable. (i.e you can make a contract with this as a subject matter)

It always ticks me off when people are outraged at the perceived infringement of some right they feel they should have, but in fact don't.

This interesting case did however highlight the extraordinary failures on the part of Dublin City Council and the residents, when the property was sold under their noses.

Funny, I thought although he was a bit barking, Noel O'Gara did make a lot of sense.
It is his land. He paid for it and has the deeds of it so he is the owner of it ... a concept that Dublin corporation didn't seem to comprehend.
If he did not want people on his land he had every right to lock the gates and keep them out. Are the farmers in the countryside not doing the same ... by denying people access to their land for walking ... until they get a subsidy from the government/EU ... surely Mr. O'Gara should have the same rights ... regardless of his motives ... I think he did a great job at showing up the ineptitude of the council.
IMHO I think that a car park is not a bad suggestion for use of Darthmount Square ... as a native of Ranelagh I can say hand on heart in the thirty years I lived there I don't remember ever seeing anyone in the park. DC when they take ownership of the land sell it to a property developer ... take the money and put it somewhere that people will actually see the benefit of.

Funny, I thought although he was a bit barking, Noel O'Gara did make a lot of sense.
It is his land. He paid for it and has the deeds of it so he is the owner of it ... a concept that Dublin corporation didn't seem to comprehend.
If he did not want people on his land he had every right to lock the gates and keep them out. Are the farmers in the countryside not doing the same ... by denying people access to their land for walking ... until they get a subsidy from the government/EU ... surely Mr. O'Gara should have the same rights ... regardless of his motives ... I think he did a great job at showing up the ineptitude of the council.
IMHO I think that a car park is not a bad suggestion for use of Darthmount Square ... as a native of Ranelagh I can say hand on heart in the thirty years I lived there I don't remember ever seeing anyone in the park. DC when they take ownership of the land sell it to a property developer ... take the money and put it somewhere that people will actually see the benefit of.

Is that you Noel?

it may not be very moral or "PC" but i agree with the post 100%.

Its like saying i can't park a car in my driveway ??? or rent out a parking space ???

it may not be very moral or "PC" but i agree with the post 100%.

Its like saying i can't park a car in my driveway ??? or rent out a parking space ???
You can't have had much contact with Planners in Ireland if you think its that simple. I know MANY instances of friends buying plots of land only to be told the off-road access they want to provide will not be approved, or the EXISTING road access has lost its viability through disuse and is no longer useable.

There are loads more examples besides road access too. Sure ye can't even put up a satellite dish on the front of your home without planning permission!

The planning laws in this country are deeply flawed at times, but Noel O'Gara and anyone who supports him, are saying that they object to the idea of planning law and a planning or spacial strategy for a country.
The logical conclusion of this is that I can build a smelly, loud factory next door to your house and have lorries going through your housing estate all day, everyday without any regard to the rights of you and your neighbours
to live in a residential area.

You do not have a right to do what you like with your property, if it is against the law or deemed by the courts and laws to be against the common good.

If anyone wants to take a constitutional challenge to this, go right ahead.

Civilized countries (France, Netherlands, Germany), who don't have rampant house price inflation or traffic chaos, have strong planning laws which are rigorously enforced.

> He isn't a novice. He has been buying up ground rents since before I
> was born.

A BE-1 isn't a real form either.

He 100% absolutely should be allowed to lock the gates as Henny Penny describes. When the council were approached by the original owner they ignored him. So he sold the land to this developer.

I hope he makes a bundle of money when he's forced to sell it to the council under CPO.

Instead of breaking locks and entering private property to "reclaim it" they should have been breaking down the door of the council to demand an explaination why the whole situation was dealt with in such a stupid way.

-Rd

daltonr;293459 I hope he makes a bundle of money when he's forced to sell it to the council under CPO. Instead of breaking locks and entering private property to "reclaim it" they should have been breaking down the door of the council to demand an explaination why the whole situation was dealt with in such a stupid way. -Rd[/quote said:
Agree wholeheartedly.

I do agree that the council are to blame for allowing this situation to occur and it it their own fault if they are forced to pay a mint in a CPO to acquire the land. Noel O'Gara owns the land and can put locks on the gates, but he can't, and shouldnt be allowed, to change its use without an planning application for change of use.

Does anyone know how he was able to buy the ground rent so cheap ? Why wouldn't the original owner have sold it to him for a few million instead of a few thousand ?

z

When I saw 8000, i assumed it was a typo.
Did he really get it that cheap????

-Rd

You can't have had much contact with Planners in Ireland if you think its that simple. I know MANY instances of friends buying plots of land only to be told the off-road access they want to provide will not be approved, or the EXISTING road access has lost its viability through disuse and is no longer useable.

There are loads more examples besides road access too. Sure ye can't even put up a satellite dish on the front of your home without planning permission!

indeed i know very little but i do know if i have a piece of property just because locals don't like it that the council should be allowed to buy it from me.

I do agree he should lock the gates without fear of ther council or the public getting on their high horse.

it was a great piece of business and i raise my invisible hat to him

> he can't, and shouldnt be allowed, to change its use without an planning > application for change of use.

Oh agreed. You can't go building a car park without permission.
I suspect however that the reason a Car Park is not being allowed is nothing to do with spatial strategies, or whatever. It's to do with the cock up that allowed a developer to buy it in the first place.

We've all seen far more stupid developments get the go ahead.

If it was me (and I'm just cranky like this), I'd open the park for the Homeless to hang out. Perhaps allow teenagers to use it for skateboarding, or whatever.

Obviously a magnanimous gesture towards those who are shunned and moved on from everywhere else in society, they'd all be welcome in my park. I might even put on buses to bring them from the city center.

Let's see how long before the locals start asking for a car park then.

-Rd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back