Danske bank refusing to take written instructions

ang1170

Does anyone have any insight into the following, and in particular on whether Danske can insist on the bizarre way they do business?

I'm trying to downgrade the current account I have with them to one that just services my mortgage, to avoid any fees on the account. I've e-mailed them several times on this on their secure e-mail, and have no problem with sending them a note in the post to confirm this is what I want.

However, I'm now been told that I have to make this request on an arranged phone call that will take up to 15 minutes, and that the call has to be scheduled to a particular time as it is on a recorded line. (I can't quite believe I've just typed that last sentence).

I’ve two issues with this. Firstly, I don’t have 15 minutes of my life to devote to such a simple transaction. Secondly, I’m told one of the reasons it’s so long is so they can explain the terms and conditions. Not having these in writing strikes me as putting me at a disadvantage, unless I arrange to record the call as well.

So, can they do this, or can I insist that they’ve already had my instruction to them?

Hello,

Ask for a copy of the terms and conditions in writting (hard copy or by email (.pdf)) ... tell them you are going to report them to the Financial Services Ombudsman if they don't stop messing you about.

Ang1170,

I went through this ridiculous setup when I opened an account for my teenage son. After scheduling (and then cancelling) several phone meetings I eventually got them on the phone for this recorded, 15 minute meeting only to be asked one question - does my son want a Laser card or not?

I was absolutely flabbergasted and unloaded in a reasonably polite way to the poor guy at the other end of the line.

It took 2 months to open a bank account for my son and it was the most ridiculous process ever, I would never repeat it. Their processes do not seem to make sense, I often wonder how they managed to develop such a good online banking system.

Good Luck.

I was absolutely flabbergasted and unloaded in a reasonably polite way to the poor guy at the other end of the line.

I think you've captured one of the most frustrating aspects, there. I'm always conscious in situations like this that the poor sod at the end of the phone line is invariably completely powerless to do anything, and probably feels what they’re being asked to say is completely idiotic. It takes a large measure of self-control to maintain calm whilst trying at the same time to express one’s true feelings. My issue is with the people who design and manage such systems, and there’s no fear you will ever get to engage with them.

It must be a pretty depressing place to work. I’ve been dealing with Danske quite a lot over the past couple of years, and several times during the interactions I’ve been told “next week is my last week in the bank”. From a customer point of view, the lack of continuity, restrictions placed on the ability to meet or interact will all serve to drive people away. I think it’s clear that this is a conscious strategy, made all the more unpleasant for both staff and customers by the way it’s been implemented.

I’m told one of the reasons it’s so long is so they can explain the terms and conditions. Not having these in writing strikes me as putting me at a disadvantage, unless I arrange to record the call as well.

So, can they do this, or can I insist that they’ve already had my instruction to them?

I would write to them again and tell them that your hearing is not adequate to accept this as a proper form of notification of terms and conditions and ask them what is their policy on dealing with customers with disabilities.

I think it is simply that they do not want any consumer business, yet thy will not say that.

I have to agree with Gerry Canning. I upgraded our account earlier in the year, it took almost 3 mths from the initial email contact,wait a week for a phone appointment,spent 40mins going through all financial questions & then paperwork back & forth with long delays between, I must have spoken to a dozen staff. Recently I decided I would like to open a linked s/a but I was informed it would be the same process so I honestly feel I cannot go through that again. I think I will apply elsewhere which is a pity as Danske bank have a great online banking system so why existing customers cannot apply online for a simple s/a is beyond comprehension.

Hi,

Anyone unhappy about this or anther process with Danske, or any other Bank, should lodge written complaints.

Bank's hate complaints, it takes up a signficant amount of staff time etc ... if pressure is applied by a number of customers who are unhappy with the current process, perhaps it will be improved.

Just to add I wanted a new credit card a number of months ago and asked Danske to supply it. I was told that I would have to go through this process ie make an appointment for a phone call approx. 2 weeks from the date I first contacted them.
At the time, I was working in a very stressful and busy role and couldn't be sure of when I was going to have a free 15 mins. I decided to get the credit card elsewhere. Madness.

I have very simple banking requirements but since Danske ditched their branches I have found them 100% impossible to deal with. I eventually threw in the towel and moved all my business to ulsterbank. I also find UB online is miles better.

They got onto me for a copy of my home insurance policy, as we had changed provider. This is a condition of my mortgage. They wouldn't give me an email address to send it, so I didn't bother complying and ignored the request. Eventually, a manager called me to follow up, and I got her danske email address from her, and sent it on.

As an update, I had my phone call with them, which lasted a couple of minutes. They also refunded some charges. Like others, I've had relatively good experiences with them, when you get somebody you can call or e-mail, but getting to that stage is painful in the extreme (plus the good people invariably seem to invariably announce at some stage that they are leaving).

In short, I've no idea how they intend to stay in business here when they make it so difficult for customers.

In short, I've no idea how they intend to stay in business here when they make it so difficult for customers.

This thread has certainly convinced me not to go anywhere near them. It sounds like the annoyance factor would hugely outweigh any positives.

Back