Dangerous driving

How about a female cycling foreign national?

Ah yeah, & I bet she got the bike for nothing and she wont lock it up because the State will just buy her another NEW one

(oops, I just got temporarily possessed by Taxi Drrooiiivarrrr there for a minute;))

OK, so sounds like this person was driving like a lunatic. But if you pulled into the lane ahead of them, forcing them to brake, the Gardai might have stopped you too. You are supposed to assess the speed of approaching traffic before overtaking.

I agree that would be a stupid thing to do. But that was not the case. I checked, loads of room, no cars nearby, moved out and, from the distance she came speeding up at a crazy rate and only stopped when she was nearly touching my bumper. Seriously, I'm actually quite a cowardly driver and never change lanes or move onto roundabouts unless I'm absolutely sure I've got time and room.

Liaconn - this type of driver then tends to stay out in the overtaking lane (because it BELONGS to them!) thus forcing other drivers to stay in the inside lane until they have passed because they are hogging the lane. So many times I'm ready to overtake only to see a car, well behind me in the overtaking lane, not passing any cars, but if I pull out to overtake, I'll be slowing them down...so we wait until these selfish drivers pass by...

Liaconn - this type of driver then tends to stay out in the overtaking lane (because it BELONGS to them!) thus forcing other drivers to stay in the inside lane until they have passed because they are hogging the lane. So many times I'm ready to overtake only to see a car, well behind me in the overtaking lane, not passing any cars, but if I pull out to overtake, I'll be slowing them down...so we wait until these selfish drivers pass by...

Yes some people do like to hog the overtaking lane and use it as a
driving lane but that post makes no sense!

If, as you say, they are "well behind" you (i.e. using the lane as a driving lane) then I don't see how you pulling out will slow them down - unless either you are travelling relatively slowly or they're travelling very fast.

In either case, the point still stands that if there's someone already in the overtaking lane, and your overtaking manoeuvre is going to force them to hit the brakes then you shouldn't pull out there, as they are arguably already in the act of overtaking (notwithstanding that they are also using the lane as a driving lane).

The good news is that someone did this to me at the weekend whereby they started flashing me and beeped while I was overtaking a row of 4 or 5 cars and travelling just at the speed limit to get out of their way. I pulled in when I could and let them pass. They shot off up the road. How I laughed when one of the cars we had overtaken turned on their own flashing lights and I passed them both on the side of the road 2 miles further on. Made my day.

The good news is that someone did this to me at the weekend whereby they started flashing me and beeped while I was overtaking a row of 4 or 5 cars and travelling just at the speed limit to get out of their way. I pulled in when I could and let them pass. They shot off up the road. How I laughed when one of the cars we had overtaken turned on their own flashing lights and I passed them both on the side of the road 2 miles further on. Made my day.

I love when that sort of thing happens!

Yes some people do like to hog the overtaking lane and use it as a
driving lane but that post makes no sense!

If, as you say, they are "well behind" you (i.e. using the lane as a driving lane) then I don't see how you pulling out will slow them down - unless either you are travelling relatively slowly or they're travelling very fast.

apologies, let me be clearer. I'm in the inside lane, approaching a car that is going slower than I am so I prepare to overtake. Check my mirrors and see a car in the overtaking lane, overtaking no cars, but approaching at speed. So you have to wait until it passes before overtaking - which can be a not inconsiderable wait.

Some motorists appear to be afraid to move into the inside lane for some reason, even though there are no cars in there.

Make more sense mandelbrot?!

Brilliant. :D

There's never, ever a guard around when someone behaves like a knob around me but that would make me feel like cheering.

apologies, let me be clearer. I'm in the inside lane, approaching a car that is going slower than I am so I prepare to overtake. Check my mirrors and see a car in the overtaking lane, overtaking no cars, but approaching at speed. So you have to wait until it passes before overtaking - which can be a not inconsiderable wait.

Some motorists appear to be afraid to move into the inside lane for some reason, even though there are no cars in there.

Make more sense mandelbrot?!

No, not really, maybe I'm the one who wasn't clear enough :eek:

What I'm saying is that if, when you look in your mirror before indicating and changing lane, there's already someone in that lane and your judgement tells you that by pulling out you'll force them to slow substantially, then they are by definition already in the act of overtaking you (it doesn't matter whether they've been out there for 10 mins or 2 seconds). Just as you will be in the act of overtaking the car in front of you as soon as you pull out, regardless of whether you are 20 metres behind them or 80 metres.

Not 'dangerous' but I was looking for an existing thread to vent in and this is the first one I found.

This morning, driving up Booterstown Avenue, waiting to turn left onto the N11. Other lane splits into two, both for turning right onto N11.

As the cars in front of me started to stop for the red light, I stopped short of a yellow box, leaving a car length free on the far side of the box.

One of the cars in the right turn lane then moved into the yellow box and indicated left like he intended to 'jump' in front of me. I got a dose of red mists and drove forward, filling the road space on the far side of the yellow box and leaving him 'stuck' in the yellow box.

I hate it when people act in such an inconsiderate manner :mad: and that I fall to their level in response :eek:.

I hate it when people act in such an inconsiderate manner :mad: and that I fall to their level in response :eek:.

To err is human, to not get caught is lucky.

Sure at least you've shown contrition, that puts you ahead of nearly everyone in power in this country that has gotten it wrong (maliciously, greedily, imcompetently, unluckily or otherwise), so don't be beating yourself up too much.

Back