Damages to house as tenant vacate

I think you should just move on.
To be honest, there are many nightmare stories out there compared to which this is a good news story.
I would give back the deposit and be grateful for 12 years of relatively trouble free tenancy.

The new suit would still be 7 years now. White goods always have to be changed when they broke, that's standard and I assumed they left them. I see the door has much more of an issue as furniture have quite a limited lifespan, not composite doors.

@Broadcaster thanks for the update. Apologies if I interpreted your initial post being one of surprise of finding these issues for the first time after 12 years as an assumption on my part that you had not done frequent inspections and replacements of furniture/white goods as required.

You have a much stronger case to retain some of the deposit if you can say, in March 23 when I inspected my suite of furniture was here in good condition and is now missing. Please return it. On the dog damage to the door, if you allowed a dog under the tenancy and never objected to the dog if the tenancy did not allow pets then they do damage and ruin furniture and fittings. This is why many landlords do not allow pets, or charge extra for them.

You've probably saved yourself the cost of a skip for the old furniture. 100% the tenants should not have disposed of it but unintended consequences. Also is there any option to rent unfurnished? So many renters are older/families do likely to either have or want to buy their own things. And more likely to stay longer as its more hassle to move on. I'd prefer that as a landlord rather than having to maintain things or worry about wear and tear.

Can you ban pets via the tenancy agreement?
I recall a long debate on this subject on another thread - feel free to find it.

In my opinion, the chances of you evicting a tenant because of Fluffy are very slim indeed. Pointless having a clause you can't enforce.

Thanks again for the replies. Always good to get range of views and take other opinions onboard.

As for allowing the dog, well we did agree given the length of time the tenant was in situ and without any issues. We thought it only fair to allow their children to have a pet. No regrets and we have to accept the damage. We will discuss the door damage with the tenant and perhaps come to some agreement on that. For the future, renting it out on a part furnished basis may be the answer.

Does the op have to have tenants paying via HAP ? This is a choice isn't it ?
You can't discriminate. Though if you advertise unfinished and it needed to be furnished for hap, it would not be discrimination I would think. You would just not offer a suitable service (ianal).

Does all of the above discussion re furniture lead one to believe that it is best to have a clause in lease that no furniture to be removed, be it damaged or not, until agreed by landlord?

Does all of the above discussion re furniture lead one to believe that it is best to have a clause in lease that no furniture to be removed, be it damaged or not, until agreed by landlord?
I would agree with that. Though it's basic common sense/decency not to remove what is not yours without permission. This seems lost on some tenants.

As we are moving towards long term renting, unfurnished properties may become more plentiful. I am exiting rental but would jump at an unfurnished model. I am sitting on a twenty yr old sofa now but the same sofa most likely would be wrecked inside 7 in a rental. One month deposit is just not enough security to cover damage to fixture and fittings..

Last edited:
Extract from one of the tenancy agreement templates etc

If damage is caused beyond normal wear and tear, the tenant must restore the property to the condition it was in at the commencement of the tenancy. Alternatively, the tenant must pay the landlord reasonable costs of doing this.

The landlord may retain part or all of the deposit to cover .. restoring the property to the condition it was in at the commencement of the tenancy with the exception of any deterioration caused by normal wear and tear.

‘Additional terms’ can be specified in the tenancy agreement ... Landlords are still allowed to refuse pets in Ireland.

Back