daewoo lanos

Sarah

HI all,

Looking at getting a daewoo lanos from a friend of a friend. Its a 1999. Not sure what the engine size is as havent looked at it yet, hopefully take it out for a drive at the weekend. What i need to know is what are these cars like problem wise, are they easy to drive and how much should you pay for a car like this. It will be for a first time driver and wouldnt clocking up too much milage on it as just used for local runs, shopping driving to train station ect. ANy info welcome!

Thanks

The Lanos is much maligned for style & driving experience. Would be regarded probably as deeply uncool.

Aside from a 'cheap' feel to the car though, it's a real bargain if the above points don't concern you. For a car that's reasonably reliable, A to B type buy, you could do far worse.

mpg is not supposed to be great though.

Check www.carzone.ie to get an idea of prices.

Hi Sarah,
A quick search on Carzone, CBG or autotrader for this car will quickly tell how much you can expect to pay. Look for a full service history on the car, this will give you a good idea if it was well minded and if it had any previous problems. Its worth having a mechanic check it out before you part with any money.

Suspension based on astra mk2 and engines are gm(opel) too. I would stay away unless really cheap

Daewoo Lanos 1.4 saloon / hatchback. For a mint 1999 SE (alloys, electric windows, A/C, etc) private sale, with NCT and maybe tax, full documented service history with receipts, 80 / 90 k miles and thoroughly checked by your mechanic, I'd suggest no more than €900 - €1,000 if its exceptionally good.

The used car prices on some of the web-sites are nothing short of fantasy at around €1,700 - €1,900, and the dealers have them on their hands for ages.

With Opel Astra running gear and mechanics as peelaaa pointed out above, servicing and repairs should be cheap. But if the car (any car in fact) hasn't been looked after it could be a nightmare. You will however, if you buy, be committing yourself to driving it 'til it dies completely.

Best of luck.

I got one of these from the garage last time my car was in for a service. It died completely at 70mph on the M11 meanng I lost all power steering, brakes, etc. I had to restart it at speed to get control of the car again, then I had to pull in and change my trousers!! That's my only experience but enough to put me off them for life (although I am sure it was just a once off for that car)

Back