Dad got broadband - what cool stuff can I set him up with ?

JohnnieKippe

My Dad has just been set up with the Imagine 9.99 per month broadband. He has been using dial up for a few years. What cool stuff can I set him up with ?. So far I've thought Skype (he has a skype daughter in USA) and Google Earth. He's into politics,news, education,etc so I thought the Kevin Sites Yahoo website. Any other ideas ?

My mum likes bridge and is a bit of a slot machine junkie - any cool sites for her ?

I'm looking for recomendations from the askaboutmoney community if thats ok. You could just say 'Look it up on google' to any question posted in this forum. Not very helpful.

Use firefox and the [broken link removed] addin which brings up random other sites according to interest that have been recommended by other stumblers. Youll find your "nuggets" that way.
As for slot jockey mom, go to paddypower.com and go to games

she can play the games for free against others on paddys. else try electrotank.com which is free and has some decent flash games. Her 20 hours will be eaten up quick enough on there though.

I'm looking for recomendations from the askaboutmoney community if thats ok. You could just say 'Look it up on google' to any question posted in this forum. Not very helpful.
When somebody posts looking for websites recommendations then it may not be safe to assume that they know about Google and I prefer to err on the side of caution when giving helpful advice.

When somebody posts looking for websites recommendations then it may not be safe to assume that they know about Google and I prefer to err on the side of caution when giving helpful advice.

Come on, I don't think there are many people posting on this forum that don't know that there is a search tool called google. Besides, searching for something on google and looking for local community based recomendations are two very different ways of finding information.

With some messaging systems (inc skype I think) you can also video conference if you have a webcam.
Online gaming if they have an xbox, PS2 :)
If you're into music things like iTunes & streaming radio become easier. Ipods, or toys like this:
http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2054996882
If you're into photography, uploading pictures (for printing, e.g. bonusprint.ie or storage, e.g. flickr.com)

My dad is obsessed about the weather and has sworn by the RTE news for decades. I'm going to set him up on www.windguru.cz which shows satellite images, forecasted wind direction, swell size etcc.....

Back