Dacia Sandero rear wiper not working

ClubMan

OK - bear with me... :)

I have a 2014 (Generation II) Dacia Sandero on which the rear wiper is not working and I am trying to diagnose, and ideally fix, the problem.

I would like to do a standlone test of the rear wiper motor using a 12V power battery/power supply just to eliminate the motor itself as the problem but don't know how to connect the power supply to the pins.

This is a pic of the part:

Pin 1 - brown
Pin 2 - green
Pin 3 - black

Detailed wiring info is very difficult to come by for Dacias for some reason but I think that this is the relevant schematic (even though the wire colours do not match) with the rear wiper bit outlined in red:

Anybody know how I could connect a 12V battery/power supply directly to the motor connections just to test the motor itself?

Further notes:
  1. It's not a fuse issue as all fuses are fine when tested with a multimeter in continuity mode.
  2. It's almost certainly not a problem with the BCM (Body Control Module) multitimer which controls the rear wiper as I have visually inspected it and the wiring and they look fine and all other BCM controlled functions are fine.
  3. I don't think that it's the rear wiper switch on the steering column stalk but I do need to double check this.
  4. When I switch on the rear wiper I hear an initial click from the relay in the BCM/multitimer followed a few seconds after by another one but nothing happens with the wiper and there are no further clicks from the relay.
  5. Neither does the rear wiper sweep, as it should automatically, when the front wipers are on and reverse gear is engaged.
Thanks.

Presumably from the schematic Pin 1 and 3 are power. Brown wiring and a switch in Pin 1 would indicate that is the positive potential so + battery terminal to Pin 1 and - battery terminal to Pin 3.

Disclaimer: I'm an electronic engineer so not a mechanic or time served electrician. I'd also never buy a Dacia so might be better if you try to offload the car ASAP.;)

Presumably from the schematic Pin 1 and 3 are power. Brown wiring and a switch in Pin 1 would indicate that is the positive potential so + battery terminal to Pin 1 and - battery terminal to Pin 3.
Thanks. If you're reading brown = live like with domestic plug wiring then I don't think that necessarily applies with car wiring?
might be better if you try to offload the car ASAP.;)
No thanks.

Have you an ohm meter ?
If you have check if there is continuity between any 2 connectors. If there is this should be the motor windings according to your diagram. Connect 12 volts across these 2 connectors. The black wiring is connected together at S47 so I would presume that this is the negative earth.

Thanks @S class.
Have you an ohm meter ?
If you have check if there is continuity between any 2 connectors.
With the ignition off and the wiper cable disconnected and using the multimeter in continuity/ohm meter mode, pins 1 (brown), 3 (black) and earth (via the metal casing of the motor) are all continuous which is part of the reason that I'm confused and I'm not sure that this (below) applies...?
If there is this should be the motor windings according to your diagram. Connect 12 volts across these 2 connectors. The black wiring is connected together at S47 so I would presume that this is the negative earth.

If you test the car loom connector with a voltmeter you might get a better idea.
I assume the wiper motor is single speed. One wire is probably the parking supply. This should be switched permanently when your ignition is on. There should be a second supply from the wiper switch. These switched supplies could be either + or -.

I've owned Renault and Peugot cars from new in the past which are premium French compared with Dacia. All had major electrical and mechanical problems (The engine actually fell out of a 6 month old Renault - held in the engine bay by two M8 bolts one which sheared) so I'm a firm believer in "not owning" French cars. Sell, sell while you can still find someone to take it off your hands. Put it down to life experience and lesson learned and never buy French again.

Last edited:
If you test the car loom connector with a voltmeter you might get a better idea.
I assume the wiper motor is single speed. One wire is probably the parking supply. This should be switched permanently when your ignition is on. There should be a second supply from the wiper switch. These switched supplies could be either + or -.
That's the thing.
I'm not detecting any voltages at all on any pins when ignition switched on or ignition + rear wiper switched on.
I'll see if I can check the wiring into the boot in case it's been pinched/pulled loose or something.

I've owned Renault and Peugot cars from new in the past which afre premium French compareed with Dacia. All had major electrical and mechanicla problems ( The engine actually fell out of a 6 month old Renault) - held in the egine bay by two M8 bolts one which sheared) so I'm a firm believer in "not owning" French cars. Sell, sell while you can still find someone to take it off your hands. Put it down to life experience and lesson learned and nevr buy French again.
I already told you that I'm not going to do that so please stop suggesting it. :rolleyes:

Is your car a hatchback ?
A weak point is where the cables from the car body connect to the tailgate. The constant bending can cause a break in the cables. This could be a likely cause of your problem. The copper can break inside the plastic insulation. If you can get access to the cables in the rubber gaiter you could pull on them and the broken one will stretch at the break.

Yes.
A weak point is where the cables from the car body connect to the tailgate. The constant bending can cause a break in the cables. This could be a likely cause of your problem. The copper can break inside the plastic insulation. If you can get access to the cables in the rubber gaiter you could pull on them and the broken one will stretch at the break.
Thanks. I'll see if I can access to check. I'll also see if I can check the relevant output from the BCM (in the passenger footwell) to see if the voltage is present but never makes it to the motor.

Thanks again for the useful suggestions.

Bingo! That's exactly what it was. There's a rubber ducting between the hatchback and the body enclosing the wiring. I prised it off and, sure enough, that's where the problem lies. There was very little slack and the opening and closing of the hatchback must've broken some of the wires. Thankfully this only seems to affect non-essential features and not stuff like the rear lights, indicators etc. I'll have a look at patching them over the next few days and then see if the wiper starts working again. Thanks a million for the nudge in the right direction. :)

Back