Cyclist in collision with car - damage!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder does it ever dawn on them that a bell would solve this problem?

Isn’t it the law that all bikes be fitted with a bell?

I hate using cycle paths that are on/ beside footpaths. I find them dangerous as people let their dog s and their children wander onto them.
Cyclists should be aware of what side of the road they should be on, i.e. what direction they should be travelling in when they are using the cycle path.

It is a requirement that bicycles be fitted with a bell. They should also have front and rear reflectors.

One thing I would like to say here is that commenting negatively about tha behaviour of a cyclist does not equate to being anti-cyclist. I used to get to the station in the evening, put on the lights and hi-vis gear, and watch Darwin candidates heading out on their bicycles with no lights, and wearing dark clothing on their way along a busy country road.

Another annoyance is people who complain that cars are likely to kill them, but then cycle as if there are no other road users. Have a little bit of common sense. If you come to a red light, and there are cars going the other way, it's a good idea to stop. Don't complain if you break the traffic laws, and wind up in an accident. I was taught "Cycle with the attitude that you're the squishiest thing on the road".

And yes, I've encountered idiot drivers and idiot pedestrians, but I've also encountered idiot cyclists. Just because you're not one of them doesn't mean they don't exist. If you do believe there's no such thing as a prat on a bicycle, it's probably because you are one.

Folks

When there is clear trolling or rubbish from a new poster, please don't dignify it with a response. Report the post and it will be dealt with.

Brendan

Have to put my hand up and plead guilty here. Although suspicious from the beginning unfortunately I got involved in debate with the particular individual. It’s difficult to let rash comments about cyclists (or anyone else for that matter) go unchallenged.
The sad thing about that particular poster although he was trying to stir things up is that people with those opinions about cyclists actually exist out there.

Isn’t it the law that all bikes be fitted with a bell?

I hate using cycle paths that are on/ beside footpaths. I find them dangerous as people let their dog s and their children wander onto them.
Cyclists should be aware of what side of the road they should be on, i.e. what direction they should be travelling in when they are using the cycle path.

You make a very good point here purple. I could also add that there is often much confusion between cycle lanes and walking tracks. A classic example of that are the cycle lanes along the main road in the Phoenix Park, Chesterfield Avenue to give it its correct title. For those who don’t know the arrangement a cycle lane and a walking lane run parallel separated by about two meters of grass.
It is laughable but I often find that it’s easier and safer to CYCLE on the WALKING path as all the walker / strollers / buggy pushers / dog walkers seem magnetically attracted to the cycle path. I actually met a man riding a horse along that particular stretch on one occasion.

You make a very good point here purple. I could also add that there is often much confusion between cycle lanes and walking tracks. A classic example of that are the cycle lanes along the main road in the Phoenix Park, Chesterfield Avenue to give it its correct title. For those who don’t know the arrangement a cycle lane and a walking lane run parallel separated by about two meters of grass.
It is laughable but I often find that it’s easier and safer to CYCLE on the WALKING path as all the walker / strollers / buggy pushers / dog walkers seem magnetically attracted to the cycle path. I actually met a man riding a horse along that particular stretch on one occasion.

Maybe they should switch the lanes so that the path closest to the road is for walkers. I think it's pretty natural to head straight for it when you park your car, especially with a buggy/pram, without realising that it's actually the cycle lane.

Maybe they should switch the lanes so that the path closest to the road is for walkers. I think it's pretty natural to head straight for it when you park your car, especially with a buggy/pram, without realising that it's actually the cycle lane.

It should be that the grass verge is between the cyclist and the pedestrian; road, cyclist, grass, then footpath.

Yes, you realise it quite quickly alright, but it can be a pain trying to get a buggy or pram across the grass to the footpath.

Oh come on, a pain? It's a pain not being able to cycle safely and smoothly on one of the few dedicated cycle lanes in the city of any reasonable length. It's a pain having to effectively halt when you come near a family with toddlers toddling around the cycle path, as you never know when a toddler is going to dart in one or other direction. it's a pain having to go onto grass on skinny tyres and wheels designed for hard surfaces only.

Please stay off the cycle path.

On a more substantial note - a fifth cyclist was killed in London last night over nine days. This shows that painting tarmac a different colour does not create a safe environment for cyclists. There is blood on Boris's hands, given his championing of the 'Cycle Superhighway'.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24936942

Yes, you realise it quite quickly alright, but it can be a pain trying to get a buggy or pram across the grass to the footpath.

The lanes in the Phoenix Park are fine but those elsewhere are not. The ones outside Marlay Park are just dangerous. I don't use them; I cycle on the road.

This shows that painting tarmac a different colour does not create a safe environment for cyclists. There is blood on Boris's hands, .

I think that's a bit harsh on Boris or anyone else in authority. Even with hi viz vests and lights, when it is a rainy dark wintry day it is sometimes exceedingly difficult to see cyclists. They can come at you from any side. I do my best but there have been times I just don't see them, despite checking as best I can.

I once had a cyclist thump the front of my car, and scared me half to death, because I'd done something wrong, I think I didn't see him and cut across him. And another time one yelled at me, more screamed. Both male if it makes any difference, on that occasion I had to cross tram tracks, at a junction, with cars in two lanes, the cars behind wanting me to get out of their way, and the cyclist came out of nowhere.

A cyclist cut straight across me this morning in order to turn right as the main road veered left. She didn’t have lights, didn’t look and didn’t indicate.
If a motorist did that I’d blow the horn at them but I consider it dangerous to blow at cyclists as the fright can cause them to wobble and possibly crash.

There is blood on Boris's hands, given his championing of the 'Cycle Superhighway'.

With all due respect that’s a silly thing to say.
Cycling infrastructure has to be imposed on existing road infrastructure and, bottom line, motorised transport needs are more important than cyclists. That’s based on usage and economic imperative.

Oh come on, a pain? It's a pain not being able to cycle safely and smoothly on one of the few dedicated cycle lanes in the city of any reasonable length. It's a pain having to effectively halt when you come near a family with toddlers toddling around the cycle path, as you never know when a toddler is going to dart in one or other direction. it's a pain having to go onto grass on skinny tyres and wheels designed for hard surfaces only.

Please stay off the cycle path.

Eh, I don't walk on the cycle paths, I was merely pointing out that I can understand why people assume that the path nearest the road is a footpath. Think about how you unload a car with young children - you get the buggy out and put in on the path, then put young child into it, then get the older children out and lead them onto the path so that they're safe while you organise bags etc and lock up the car. In the Phoenix park it's hard to see that there's another path further in. And yes, it's a pain trying to walk across what can be a wide grassy uneven surface with a buggy or pram.

I think we can all agree that the situation is unsatisfactory for everyone.

No need for the rage against families and kids on cycle paths. How much of a rush are you in. Use the road if it bothers you that much.

Bit of daft criticism of Boris. Boris has done a lot of cycling in London. The rise in deaths is probably due to the rise in cycling than anything else.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...hnson-courted-lost-growing-cycling-lobby.html

[broken link removed]

enormous growth rates achieved in Boris’s first term – an average of just under 11 per cent a year, and more than 15 per cent in the single year 2010/11 alone, for instance. More new cycle journeys were made on the TLRN in 2011 than in any other year. By the end of 2011, more people were cycling in London than at any previous time since the beginning of mass car ownership. The Boris bikes have introduced hundreds of thousands of new people to cycling.

No need for the rage against families and kids on cycle paths. How much of a rush are you in. Use the road if it bothers you that much.
If they were walking on the lanes designated for cars would you feel the same way?

If I'm cycling at 40Kmph and a child walks out in front of me they, of I, could be killed. It's dangerous.
Using your logic people would not be able to commute to and from work using cycle lanes etc because they would be constantly stopping and starting due to stupid people putting them in danger. If people are cycling into work then they are in a rush. Cycle lanes aren't just for casual cyclists going for a bit of a ramble on a Sunday afternoon.

No offence but that kinda thinking only makes sense when looking at lines on a plan, or looking at it from the outside in, with no experience of actually doing it. A driver who doesn't cycle much if at all, for example.

The speed limit on roads in areas with lots of pedestrian is usually reduced. So why then would someone cycle at 40kph in an area where its very likely pedestrian are going to cross your path. Almost always unpredictably. You can't stop that quick on a bike. Not even as quick as a car. So you can't go full whack around pedestrians.

If you cycle into someone at high speed you are just as likely to seriously injure yourself as the pedestrian. its going to hurt, and probably put you off the bike for some time. So it makes no sense to put yourself at that risk.

Cycle lanes are generally not suitable for cycling at high speed. If you want to cycle at high speed the roads are much better. The fastest route through a roundabout or a junction is always on the road. The cycle lanes slow you down at the junctions and often they put you in the wrong road position to get through a junction efficiently and safely.

Most people who commute on the bike a decent distance would be aware of all that.

That's completely unacceptable, and typical of the 'just me' attitude too often prevalent in Ireland. It's OK for ME to use the cycle path, or the disabled parking spot, or the bus lane because I'm in a hurry, and others can go lump it.

The cycle lane is clearly marked for cyclists only. Signs have been added recently to show that there should be no walkers on the lane. Anyone who continues to walk on it is being dangerously anti-social, and putting their own safety and safety of others at risk. It's not as if the alternative is a big problem - it's a parallel path about 5 metres away.

Boris has done a lot of cycling in London. The rise in deaths is probably due to the rise in cycling than anything else.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/a...hnson-courted-lost-growing-cycling-lobby.html

[broken link removed]
Did you bother to read the article that you linked to?

More positively, however, he announced the launch of twelve cycling superhighways. But when the first two routes were introduced, there was disappointment at their limited scope despite the £2 million a mile cost. On some stretches, sections of old green cycle lanes had been simply painted over in blue; many were just as narrow as the lanes they were replacing – 1.5 metres wide, half the norm in Copenhagen. There was no physical separation beyond (at best) a white line (unlike other cities where cyclists are protected by a kerb) and often highways stopped altogether at the most dangerous junctions, where many of the deaths and serious injuries take place.

Soon there were suggestions that the superhighways, although undoubtedly well-intentioned, might even increase the dangers for cyclists by giving them a false sense of security. A survey published by City Hall itself in 2010 found that more than half of cyclists said they felt no safer on a superhighway than without one. Two-thirds said they did not feel that motorised traffic respected the superhighway and regularly drove into or across one.
Complex junctions were considered particularly challenging, not helped by the fact that calls for a 20 mph speed limit were rejected on the grounds that they would slow motorised traffic. The fact was the superhighways were not only considered ‘scary’ by so-called ‘hardened’ cyclists but only four have been completed by the end of Boris’s first term, with the other eight not now expected until 2015.
Most alarmingly, while the superhighways were still under construction, Boris’s cycling revolution was coming under attack from... Boris. He abandoned plans to pedestrianise Parliament Square, a well-known black spot for cyclists. He abolished the western extension of the congestion charge zone, increasing motorised traffic in the area by eight per cent (or 30,000 vehicles a day). Intriguingly, there were signs that he was reluctant to make the move, but not to do so would have countered the now prevailing Conservative compulsion of ‘ending the war on the motorist’. Boris’s supporters in the outer boroughs were demanding a more car-friendly regime in City Hall, and recognising their importance in his election as mayor (and any future party leadership bid), he gave it to them. The car now became king in Boris’s London; the new transport mantra was not the ‘cycling revolution’ but ‘smoothing traffic flow’.

I think that's a bit harsh on Boris or anyone else in authority. Even with hi viz vests and lights, when it is a rainy dark wintry day it is sometimes exceedingly difficult to see cyclists. They can come at you from any side. I do my best but there have been times I just don't see them, despite checking as best I can.

I once had a cyclist thump the front of my car, and scared me half to death, because I'd done something wrong, I think I didn't see him and cut across him. And another time one yelled at me, more screamed. Both male if it makes any difference, on that occasion I had to cross tram tracks, at a junction, with cars in two lanes, the cars behind wanting me to get out of their way, and the cyclist came out of nowhere.
Sorry, but cyclists don't 'come out of nowhere'. They usually come from the left side of traffic, filtering beside slow moving cars. If you find that cyclists are 'coming out of nowhere', you need to improve your observation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back