CVIreland.ie Newsletter

RainyDay

Did anyone else get spammed from cvireland.ie with a newsletter this week? It came through to my work email addres, which I would be very careful about publicising. I sent a query to their [email protected] address and they responded by unsubscribing me, but they ignored my questions about the source of my email address.

I'm just wondering how broadly they distributed their wares?

RD

Never heard of them, but you could force them to disclose where they got your information using the Data Protection Act.

C

Capaill said:
RD

Never heard of them, but you could force them to disclose where they got your information using the Data Protection Act.

C
HI Capaill - Thanks for prompting further investigation on my part. Initially, I thought that you were wrong and I was not explicitly entitled to be informed of the source of the information. Details about the source of info are not mentioned in the [broken link removed] section of the Data Protection Commissioner's website.[/url]. However, on further digging, I found the following nugget in the [broken link removed] section of the site;

If the data was not supplied to the data controller by the individual then the data controller must inform the individual of the source of the data.
I guess this is based on Section 5 (a) (iii) (II) of the which states;

(iii) have communicated to him or her in intelligible form—
(I) the information constituting any personal data of which that individual is the data subject, and
(II) any information known or available to the data controller as to the source of those data unless the communication of that information is contrary to the public interest,

I'd love to hammer these guys with the full force of the Act. However, I'll have to strike a careful balance between RainyDay the individual and RainyDay the employee. I'd guess that my employer wouldn't particularly want to get into legal or quasi-legal action against these guys, so I'll have to tread carefully.

RainyDay said:
I'd love to hammer these guys with the full force of the Act. However, I'll have to strike a careful balance between RainyDay the individual and RainyDay the employee. I'd guess that my employer wouldn't particularly want to get into legal or quasi-legal action against these guys, so I'll have to tread carefully.

Would your employer not be concerned that:

(a) their e-mail system is being 'clogged' with spam like this?
(b) these guys are trying to poach a valuable employee like yourself?

Back