Cut-off point for Executor spend?

Samd

Background: Uncle died two years ago leaving house to niece, wife of Executor. Two other beneficiaries including myself. All three to divide residue equally. No communication from Executor. Will has gone to probate and revenue has given the okay for distribution.

Final breakdown of costs show Executor is claiming for having provided security for the house (himself) with travel costs to and from his home, and every bill owed on work done to house - landscaping, gardening, maintenance, utility, etc. over past two years. Receipts are available totalling just under 7k. All costs to be divided equally between the three beneficiaries.

Question: Since only one beneficiary stands to gain from the house is there a cut-off point beyond which the other two would not be liable to contribute to its improvement/upkeep/security? We feel as if we're being taken for a bit of a ride here..

Thank you in advance for any replies

Samd

There should not be any improvements carried out to the house during probate. The only thing that should be done is basic maintenance, like mowing the lawns. I'd certainly query any landscaping costs.

The problem here is that any challenge to this will probably wind up costing more than you'd gain.

The executor is not entitled to charge for the "time" element of work he carried out on behalf of the estate. Time spent guarding the house or cutting the grass cannot be charged out at an hourly rate. If he employed security staff or gardeners, he could possibly recoup those costs, but not if the only cost is his time and he can only properly recoup these costs from whoever inherits the house in my view. Tell him to issue his bills to his wife.

Back