Cut backs in the Eighties - the 70s & 80s nostalgia thread.

I can't remember as I emigrated at a young age during the early eighties but I think that those who stayed behind paid 60% income tax, now that is what I call severe:eek:

Not a cut per se, but part of your unemployment benefit was given in tokens for butter and tinned beef.

and the CWO gave out shoe vouchers:eek:

The health services suffered drastically in that era, hospitals closed, community care and social work services were particular hit, in fact it took more than 20 years for the sector to recover from the scale of those cutbacks.

Last edited:
The health services suffered drastically in that era, hospitals closed, community care and social work services were particular hit, in fact it took more than 20 years for the sector to recover from the scale of those cutbacks.
They still haven't recovered from the underinvestment of the 80s.

I don't think total nominal Govt exp actually fell in the 86-88 period.

It was very tightly constrained.

Large cuts in cap exp, e.g. housing, railways, roads, etc.

Anyone remember the outcry when it was proposed to turn off the lights on the M1 to the airport at certain times because the council could not afford the electricity bill?

I grew upin a very disadvantaged area in the inner city. People shoes were stolen from them. There was zero money around. I was only a wippersnapper at the time but remember the oul dear giving me a slip of paper to give to the cheese and milk man that came around some dark evenings. It was always dark I remember. I never knew any better back then. I thought thats what the world was like, you queued up for food from a man with a van. Never asked where he got it from. Now I'm older and wiser and will probably find myself queing at a van for milk and cheese the way things are heading. Money is like time. Both are just concepts. Both are illusions! The eighters are no different just as money is now.

One of the big differences with the 80's is that I don't think people had as much personal debt then - we also didn't have such high expectations, not say that was right but it was just a fact of life, travel, nice cars etc.

"One of the big differences with the 80's is that I don't think people had as much personal debt then - we also didn't have such high expectations, not say that was right but it was just a fact of life, travel, nice cars etc. "

couldn't agree more. Keeping up with the Jones's.

Interesting thread this.

The next decade is going to make the 80s look like the 00s.

I do feel sorry for people who were "conned" in the property market - I do think that is the right word to use - the government now talk of "shared responsibility" but as our elected body what is the point of them if they cannot guide people in good times & bad. They have let us all down & I do fear for all of us in the future. If only they gave some credible guidance - I don't know about anyone else, but I don't & never have professed to be a financial genius, or understand all the guff about markets etc. just an ordinary Joe Soap trying to do the best I can, who relied on our government to steer us in the right direction. The cut backs in the 80's affected all aspects of life - taxes, welfare, pay & pensions & the health services - just like now nurses left the country to take up employment overseas & I remember seeing tearful parents seeing their children off at the airports & bus stations - it really is heartbreaking to watch. I don't know the answer to the countries problems I really don't, but I would hope that (just one example) that people who were serving apprenticeships could be paid to be employed & finish their time with either private or public employers - it would at least make more sense than paying them dole money.

One of the big differences with the 80's is that I don't think people had as much personal debt then - we also didn't have such high expectations, not say that was right but it was just a fact of life, travel, nice cars etc.

This is true. I remember when we got our first car in the 80's and I was a teenager. We have 2 cars now and consider them essential (they are in fact not) Choice in food/clothes/tv/eating out etc... where worse in the 80's but we never missed what we never had. It is harder to have had a nice lifestyle and go backwards than it is to have never had it.

To make matters worse there was no internet during the 80's, no social networking as there is today, apart from the pubs in Kilburn and Cricklewood and the Bronx network of Irish bars in New York.

Good things about the 80's was that the music was good and there was no such thing as Terms and Conditions attached to services.

I grew upin a very disadvantaged area in the inner city. People shoes were stolen from them:eek:

There was zero money around. I was only a wippersnapper at the time but remember the oul dear giving me a slip of paper to give to the cheese and milk man that came around some dark evenings. It was always dark I remember. I never knew any better back then. I thought thats what the world was like, you queued up for food from a man with a van. Never asked where he got it from. .

Reminds me of this song from the 70's or was it 80's:)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bQhRVVzAyU

The 80's were tough alright.
I was single and taxed @48 % on the first £10,000 and then 60% on the balance. The lowest rate was 35% In fact I have memories of doing approximately 10 hours overtime one week and all that I actually earned for it after the taxman got his whack was £5.00 extra.!! Never again I took time in lieu after that. Mond you Charlie Haughey as Minister for finance had a brainwave of introducing an early retirement scheme for public servants to reduce the numbers and halve the pay bill. A few of my work collegues availed of the scheme but were subsequently rehired on temporary contracts along with their pension. I see there is talk of Brian Lenihan introducing a similar type scheme again in order to reduce public service numbers, so will it be the same old carry on again? Public servants avail of the scheme & rehired a week or so later?

1980 I had trouble getting a bridging loan for my house, banks were not giving loans, possible that's what should have happened recently. But I built a 4 bedroom bungalow for IR£22,000 + £3,500 for 1/2 acre

I reckon the re-hiring part will be the part that won't be repeated.

I agree, it won't be repeated. It's the main reason they haven't gone down this road so far. When they did this in the 80's they had to rehire the nurses they pensioned off.

Back