Current trends in Dublin for IT support and ops

lff12

Hello all;

After nearly 5 years of being out of Dublin I am thinking of coming back but am pretty overwhelmed by the advertisements out there at the moment. I have 6 years experience in technical support and operations, mostly Windows, and most recently Windows 2003 in a huge enterprise. For the last year I've worked on a team whose main role is to monitor networks and servers, so I've picked up a bit of Solaris, and HP Openview on Solaris. I have comptia certifications - A+, Network+, a Cisco CCNA (but little hands on experience aside from monitoring), and am doing a Linux+ in a couple of weeks. The next step for me are Windows 2k MCPs which I've been looking at for years, and then Windows 2003 server exams.

I would like to move back to Dublin but am finding it very overwhelming at present. I am finding on talking to recruiters that some jobs that only ask for 1-2 yrs exp are paying anything between 20-35k but on the other hand some jobs are asking for 3-5 yrs exp but when I tell them I want not less than 35k they say that is way too much.

My questions are:

1. is there a lot of "real" work at the moment? (and not just agencies fishing for cvs)
2. Are IT wages still fairly low as they are in much of the rest of Ireland?
3. Are companies still using a lot of agencies or has there been a trend to move back to in-house recruiting?
4. And finally, how long are people finding they need to wait to get jobs? - I'd like to have a job by Christmas at the latest, but am in no great rush

I was getting a lot of calls from agencies there for a while about Dublin jobs when I wasn't looking at relocating back home, but it was hard to say if they were agencies fishing around or if the jobs were any good (i.e. paying 35k or more).

Hi There Ive been doing that type of work for about 9 yrs. I think that with your amount of exp. it shouldnt be hard to get 35 -40k mostly jobs are advertised as network admin etc. there is a few cheapskate companies who still expect to get someone to do all things IT for 25k but personally id steer clear of these companies as if they are that bad starting off they are not going to improve once your in there. I was in permanent roles up until 3 yrs ago now im contracting as its much better finanacially (approx €200 - €300 a day depending on the role) and i have never been without work. Agencies do fish for cv's at times and i think the summer is generally quite. id be confident that you would get a job fairly quickly. hold out for something u really want. best of luck.

Just to update - was offered a job in Dublin within 3 weeks of this on 37k on northside, but actually got a second offer here in Cork of 38k - which is huge money for Cork - so decided to stay.

Found things are really rocking in Dublin, and work there for whoever wants it.

Yes also many poorly paid roles, but would say that these are only getting people with no experience or an answer on a brick through the window.

Was surprised, however, to also discover that Cork has picked up a lot and major hiring on good money at the moment.

congrats. good for you. worked in Cork a few years ago and loved it. i didnt want to leave. too settled in dublin now. best of luck with it.

Back