Current public sentiment towards the housing market?

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Americans Have a New Word, "Bubble Sitting"

From CNN

Bubble sitting

Convinced home prices will fall? So are a lot of other Americans.Some - known as bubble sitters - are acting on their conviction. They're cashing out by selling their homes and renting, figuring they'll return to the market after prices have fallen.
Some consider it leads to pent up demand but there are not quite as many empties in the US as here I'll wager (without knowing for sure may I add )

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/11/real_estate/bubble_sitting/index.htm

Nor have these 'vultures' made a killing over there. Yet !

http://money.cnn.com/2006/08/07/real_estate/vulture_buyers_invade_market/index.htm

CNN are adamant that price falls are localised and recommend, as do I , that you research and know where you WANT to live very well before making any price drop assumptions for that area.

Hi All,

I was reading this thread in last few weeks and I just wanted to share my own impression about the topic.

I'm not irish, but I worked in this country for more than 5 years in one of these high-tech companies in Limerick. I have been renting a place all the time and I was thinking to buy at some point, but I gave up the idea.
I am sure a correction was due at the end of 2003, but the coming of eastern europeans, the new mortgages and some incentives from the government saved the situation. This is to reply to all the people that use the argument of "it has been said before about a crash and never happened". I was taking care of my full house (the landlord didn't want to rent just one room and I had to put the adverts in the papers ....) and during the year of 2003 I had to pay many times for the empty rooms in my house.
At that time, many landlords were struggling to find tenants in Limerick and I'm sure they would have been forced to seel their houses.
However, the incoming of eastern europeans saved them during the year of 2004, I could see this with my own eyes, as I was still involved in the renting market.
I guess the interest rates from ECB also helped the landlords a lot.

For a foreginer, the prices of houses versus their quality looks very, very high now. Not sure how many talented young foreigners will want to settle here when they find out a bit more about the system. I must say I didn't pay attention to my salary in the first years, but when I discovered how much money the people in the public sector are making (I know about the county council ones) and this story about the so called "benchmarking" I felt very humiliated. Definitely I don't want to stay in a country that ripps-off the people from the producing sector to give it to the ones sitting and moving papers from one office to another.

The increase in prices from the first half of the year in Limerick near Dell factory is absolutely ridicolous and denies the right of young people to have a roof. Second hand houses that were 170.000 in september last year are 230.000 or even 250.000 now. I feel sorry for the people that will buy them for living. Anyway, if the rumours of Dell opening a factory in the city of Lodz from Poland will become true, then it will be disaster for the prices in Limerick. The factory from here doesn't have to be closed, it's enough for the more than 50% polish workforce (maybe 1500 people) to return home and the rental situation from 2003 will be back because all these people are renting around here.

Myself, I decided to move already (2-3 months from now) from this place, as my personal standard of living has deteriorated too much. While I was 2-3 years on salary freeze because of the international bad economy, the people in the public sector were getting 10% increases a year. It's too much humiliation to support them from my taxes from a frozen salary.

Most of the foreign people are here for the money, usually in low-paid services. Until now, these were sustained by huge borrowing by the irish people. But this borrowing has already become MAD !!!! 260 billions for the public sector !!!! From where will you pay this ????? Dell is the second biggest exporter of Ireland and has lost 50% in the share price for the last year. Intel is number one and has problems, too. A decent salary here starts to look like a good salary in USA, so I don't see any reason for an american company to come here. Also, the main reason of the Irish boom (CORPORATE TAX) will be surely cancelled in 2-3 years. Europe has had enough watching how german, french, italian money paid for goods packed here are dissapearing from their economy. Opposition from irish representatives in the EU-Finance Commission is very very strong. They will not accept any increase in Corporate tax. But guess what ?? The rest of Europe is working on a law to retain the profits in the country where the product is sold.
In other words: even if Microsoft Office is packed in Ireland and sold in Germany, the profit might remain mainly in Germany from now on. This was a very clever way for the americans to sell their products in EU without paying import tarriffs. Check about this company called Round Island One from Dublin: they sell all the Microsoft software for Europe and Asia. The american IRS is watching since last year, because the american are losing tax money too, from this.

In conclusion, a crash in housing is sure because there will be physical limits: no more easy money from the banks, less foreign companies and less money from the corporate taxation even if the foreign companies will remain.

The irish government will do everything to hide this, there is no doubt about it. The sad story is that young irish people that bought houses now will remain to clean the mess after the party of those that have 40-50 years now.

All the best and make anyone aware about this, before it's too late !

As previously stated Dan McLaughlin of Bank of Ireland is forecasting house price growth slowing to 3% in 2007(as a result of reduced affordability and banks not lending ever increasing amounts to chase prices). If he as the public face of one of countrys biggest banks/lenders is forecasting sub inflationary growth (which is a fall in real terms) then things must be close to a turning point.

Im sure personally he doesnt beleive that if growth slows to inflation or below inflation that the 40% who are buying now as investments are gonna be plunging in and supply for other buyers will shoot up as ulster banks chief economst has said, but publically he will say all is well and a soft landing will occur.

If the banks are predicting a virtual stalling of the market within a year i think its time to be worried and not a time to buy (why buy now if growth is going to slow to below your increase in wages?) .

People will say that what do these guys know and we've heard it all before but the reality is these guys know the market inside out(they are insiders) and see trends and issues affecting price rises before the rest of us, so if they say things are gonna stall then i'd bet thats a best case scenario!

You have been warned!;)

Hi All,

I was reading this thread in last few weeks and I just wanted to share my own impression about the topic.

I'm not irish, but I worked in this country for more than 5 years in one of these high-tech companies in Limerick. I have been renting a place all the time and I was thinking to buy at some point, but I gave up the idea.
I am sure a correction was due at the end of 2003, but the coming of eastern europeans, the new mortgages and some incentives from the government saved the situation. This is to reply to all the people that use the argument of "it has been said before about a crash and never happened". I was taking care of my full house (the landlord didn't want to rent just one room and I had to put the adverts in the papers ....) and during the year of 2003 I had to pay many times for the empty rooms in my house.
At that time, many landlords were struggling to find tenants in Limerick and I'm sure they would have been forced to seel their houses.
However, the incoming of eastern europeans saved them during the year of 2004, I could see this with my own eyes, as I was still involved in the renting market.

For a foreginer, the prices of houses versus their quality looks very, very high now. Not sure how many talented young foreigners will want to settle here when they find out a bit more about the system. I must say I didn't pay attention to my salary in the first years, but when I discovered how much money the people in the public sector are making (I know about the county council ones) and this story about the so called "benchmarking" I felt very humiliated. Definitely I don't want to stay in a country that ripps-off the people from the producing sector to give it to the ones sitting and moving papers from one office to another.

The increase in prices from the first half of the year in Limerick near Dell factory is absolutely ridicolous and denies the right of young people to have a roof. Second hand houses that were 170.000 in september last year are 230.000 or even 250.000 now. I feel sorry for the people that will buy them for living. Anyway, if the rumours of Dell opening a factory in the city of Lodz from Poland will become true, then it will be disaster for the prices in Limerick. The factory from here doesn't have to be closed, it's enough for the more than 50% polish workforce (maybe 1500 people) to return home and the rental situation from 2003 will be back because all these people are renting around here.

Myself, I decided to move already (2-3 months from now) from this place, as my personal standard of living has deteriorated too much. While I was 2-3 years on salary freeze because of the international bad economy, the people in the public sector were getting 10% increases a year. It's too much humiliation to support them from my taxes from a frozen salary.

Most of the foreign people are here for the money, usually in low-paid services. Until now, these were sustained by huge borrowing by the irish people. But this borrowing has already become MAD !!!! 260 billions for the public sector !!!! From where will you pay this ????? Dell is the second biggest exporter of Ireland and has lost 50% in the share price for the last year. Intel is number one and has problems, too. A decent salary here starts to look like a good salary in USA, so I don't see any reason for an american company to come here. Also, the main reason of the Irish boom (CORPORATE TAX) will be surely cancelled in 2-3 years. Europe has had enough watching how german, french, italian money paid for goods packed here are dissapearing from their economy. Opposition from irish representatives in the EU-Finance Commission is very very strong. They will not accept any increase in Corporate tax. But guess what ?? The rest of Europe is working on a law to retain the profits in the country where the product is sold.
In other words: even if Microsoft Office is packed in Ireland and sold in Germany, the profit might remain mainly in Germany from now on. This was a very clever way for the americans to sell their products in EU without paying import tarriffs. Check about this company called Round Island One from Dublin: they sell all the Microsoft software for Europe and Asia. The american IRS is watching since last year, because the american are losing tax money too, from this.

In conclusion, a crash in housing is sure because there will be physical limits: no more easy money from the banks, less foreign companies and less money from the corporate taxation even if the foreign companies will remain.

The irish government will do everything to hide this, there is no doubt about it. The sad story is that young irish people that bought houses now will remain to clean the mess after the party of those that have 40-50 years now.

Great post.

Any profit margin , no matter how small , is a good one for the boys in Dell and Intel. Americans love working with the Irish , we speak english and go about our work with a smile. Sure aren't we great craic altogether. Theres nobody going back to lodz any time soon.

"And most certainly do not stand in front of the train or try to catching the falling knife when it happens. This could play out over a long time."

Please lock this thread, the cliches are killing me!

...how's about... all together now.... 'You gotta know when to hold, know when to fold 'em, know when to walk away....know when to hide, you never count your money, when you're sitting at the table.... there'll be time enough for countin'...when the dealin's done'

Hi All,

Most interesting development in this thread sofar AFAIK. Great to have the perspective of a foreign worker. I actually work with a lot of Polish, Chinese and German engineers and I can tell you, they are all top class engineers and are a cut above the average engineering graduate that we get coming out of the Irish universities.

My recently-arrived Polish colleague was absolutely astounded by the price of houses - so much so, he actually laughed out loud because he thought it was a joke. He's here to get as much of that Irish borrowed money in his back pocket as he can, and once it goes pear-shaped, he'll leave, leaving Paddy Irish Joe with his house in commuter-land to pay back all the money to the European banks.

The party is over chaps. Any mortgage-free, young person won't be sticking around for pay-back time either.

Most interesting development in this thread sofar AFAIK. Great to have the perspective of a foreign worker. I actually work with a lot of Polish, Chinese and German engineers and I can tell you, they are all top class engineers and are a cut above the average engineering graduate that we get coming out of the Irish universities.

My recently-arrived Polish colleague was absolutely astounded by the price of houses - so much so, he actually laughed out loud because he thought it was a joke. He's here to get as much of that Irish borrowed money in his back pocket as he can, and once it goes pear-shaped, he'll leave, leaving Paddy Irish Joe with his house in commuter-land to pay back all the money to the European banks.

The party is over chaps. Any mortgage-free, young person won't be sticking around for pay-back time either.

Second that. We better buck up when we are working for the Poles and Chinese when a large amount of international companies relocate over there. In the long run our high cost base will do serious damage to our overall economic situation and with it our beloved housing market....;)

Well Said Gab24

Couldn't have put it better myself - great post

better start checking out the languages section for the forthcoming evening class semester heh heh heh! -

I am a property owner but its all paid for and its not in this country - I've got a feeling those whose assets are liquid and transferrable(both financial and skills) are going to be the ones best able to deal with the hurricane thats gonna hit this country in a few years time - I wonder , when the Irish are once again earning their livings in the 4 corners of the world , how we or more probably, our children will look back at the last decade or 2? What will the history books say about us? What a great time it was or what complete bunch of eejits we all were to throw it all away on something as mundane as houses - I can just see it - "We became wealthy and prosperous and all we got to show for it is a rusting steel pole in the middle of our capital city" .

Sweet dreams

Gab24

Thanks for that insightful and valuable post.

I'm optimistic that the Irish will learn from this manic episode, we are a resourceful, imaginative and gritty people.

We learn our lessons (eventually)

1. Potatoes, never put all your eggs in one basket.

2. Property, never put all your eggs in one basket.

:)

Gab24

Thanks for that insightful and valuable post.

I'm optimistic that the Irish will learn from this manic episode, we are a resourceful, imaginative and gritty people.

We learn our lessons (eventually)

1. Potatoes, never put all your eggs in one basket.

2. Property, never put all your eggs in one basket.

:)

I don't know we seem to vote the same gimps in time after time after time,hopefully it will be the end of the 2 party system we have at present that only came about because of a civil war.
I blame the current government for a lot of the mess we are about to be in,but i have very little doubt the other mob would have done exactly the same damage.
I have noticed a change over the last while in a lot of my peers,that they are looking for something different their sick of the strokers,corruption and vested interests that infest this country.
If anything comes out of this whole mess,i'd love to see a genuine new party emerge,for the people where the ordinary man/woman on the street comes first.

A lot of the posters on this site predicted that the ssia's would have little effect on the market as this had already been built in to the prices and everyone was trying to get in before the ssia's matured anyway,where as the vested interests were maintaining buy now before prices jump.

As a soft landing was called 6 weeks after the ssia's matured,is it now time to say people here called it right on that score ?

If the september season does not kick in and prices go into reverse i predict the first dead cat bounce may 2007 !;)

Please lock this thread, the cliches are killing me!

I'm really glad this thread hasn't been locked! Wouldn't make sense :confused:
If it had, we wouldn't have seen the very recent interesting post (IMO) from Gab24.
There are probably lots of people checking in and reading but taking their time to contribute.

Two beautiful properties near me that both went on the market in late 2005 at 1.2 million and are now still sitting - prices slashed to 895,000. Maybe it's a sign that the smart "high end" buyers have fled the market and left this madness to the FTB Bottom-Feeders.

[broken link removed]=

[broken link removed]=

Maybe it's a sign that the smart "high end" buyers have fled the market and left this madness to the FTB Bottom-Feeders.

And that my friend is the key. Unless you are financially savvy or have inside information the main method of realising gains and minimising losses is by following the smart money.

And the smart money at the moment is not being invested in, what will be, a depreciating and (more importantly because cash is, dont forget, king) highly illiquid asset - Irish property.

Two beautiful properties near me that both went on the market in late 2005 at 1.2 million and are now still sitting - prices slashed to 895,000. Maybe it's a sign that the smart "high end" buyers have fled the market and left this madness to the FTB Bottom-Feeders.

[broken link removed]=

Same house was 975,000 on this auctioneers site before the vendor switched to Lisney
http://www.prestigeproperties.ie/index.html

[broken link removed]=

[broken link removed]=

Absolutely no disrespect intended SLAPPY, but, did the smart "high end" bidders ever buy in Saggart? Maybe as a nice place to live, but surely not as an investment? Actually, I don't think it's very fair to single out individual properties on this thread.

Absolutely no disrespect intended SLAPPY, but, did the smart "high end" bidders ever buy in Saggart? Maybe as a nice place to live, but surely not as an investment? Actually, I don't think it's very fair to single out individual properties on this thread.

Why not? I think that there has been quite a number of properties which have had to reduce their prices in order obviously to generate interest. Maybe it is discomforting to some to see this sort of information but judging the amount of views expressed on this thread there is a great deal of interest to many people. Do you think that EA's would want this information being released to the general public? I think it is refreshing to get another view to the mostly one sided news that emanates from those ridiculous property supplements

Why not? I think that there has been quite a number of properties which have had to reduce their prices in order obviously to generate interest. Maybe it is discomforting to some to see this sort of information but judging the amount of views expressed on this thread there is a great deal of interest to many people. Do you think that EA's would want this information being released to the general public? I think it is refreshing to get another view to the mostly one sided news that emanates from those ridiculous property supplements

Although it might be refreshing to get another view, it's just another one sided view IMO. If posters were willing, for example, to set up another thread on this subject, where ALL properties which had dropped their price were listed, I think it would be more equitable. Perhaps all those properties who sold way above their listed price should be included. There's plenty of evidence for this in other threads, where posters are engaged in bidding wars and losing out.

I don't think Estate Agents would want the type of thread I've suggested to be available to the general public. As I'm neither an Estate Agent nor a vendor at the moment, I have no personal reasons for not wanting to see this type of post on this thread, other than consideration for the individual vendors who are being singled out! To have your property listed on a thread such as this, without consideration of the circumstances surrounding the price decrease, must be sickening. How do we know that some of the posters don't have a vested interest, i.e. want to buy a particular property and are trying to drive down the price further?

As to the property supplements, MyHome.ie is regaled by a number of posters on this thread, yet it is owned by the Irish Times. This is just my view. It is a free market and there are no holds barred on the internet. But for some, dipping into this thread, it has become very boring to see so many of the same types of post.

..... I have no personal reasons for not wanting to see this type of post on this thread, other than consideration for the individual vendors who are being singled out! To have your property listed on a thread such as this, without consideration of the circumstances surrounding the price decrease, must be sickening. How do we know that some of the posters don't have a vested interest, i.e. want to buy a particular property and are trying to drive down the price further?.....

good points... I would be inclinded to think that there would be some here who have a vested intestest in seeing a property that they like being targeted..... anyways such is life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back