Currency used in Turkey

To the point above about having £10stg to enter the country .. I don't believe this is allowed any more for Irish Passport holders .. you must pay in Euro - €15 ... This was the case a few months ago in Istanbul Airport anyway.

There's a big list of countries on the signs saying what you must pay and it's roughly £10/€15/$20 for most (Canadians get screwed for some reason and have to pay lots more) .. but for Ireland they wouldn't allow payment in £stg ... only Euros ... I didn't have any € on me but they still wouldn't take a tenner sterling .. had to pay with credit card.

No problem changing € in the country ... but normal advice about using bank machines and ATM/Credit cards applies .. it's a far better deal and safer than carrying about loads of cash ... bank machines are very easy to find in all towns and cities in Turkey.

Good to know about the "Euro only" visa for Irish passport holders DrK, I'm travelling with a UK tour so am flying ex London and could well be the only Irish passport holder on the trip. I'll make sure to have the correct euro change to hand!

Thanks again to all for your advice.

I dont think this is such a big deal. I was in Turkey 2 months ago with my partner. He's got a UK passport and i've an Irish one. We both paid in Euro's and no issue. At the end of the day they only want the money and they are always dealing with both sterling and euro's. You dont need to bring Turkish Lira with you, in fact in most market places you can pay with euro coins!

Back