Currency exchange for holiday in Ethiopia

noilh

Im due to go on holiday next week to Ethiopia and am wondering what is the best way to take money with me. I understand that what few ATMs there areover there can often be out of order. I thought I might buy US$ and then buy the local currency, Birr, when I arrive. Would appreciate tips from someone in the know about this country - money wise that is - and the best way to take the money over.

Excellent trip - it's on my list but I've not been, supposed to be some magnificent places to see - please do update us when you get back.

As regards ATMs - I've been to lots of places in Southern and Eastern Africa and anywhere I can remember the two things that tend to work surprisingly well are ATM machines and Mobile phone networks - I would guess that Ethiopia is probably not that different (at least in Addis where I'm sure you'd be arriving)

As always carrying large amounts of cash around with you is a bad idea, especially in a poor country - so if ATM machines are available it's a better (and usually cheaper) option to use them. Obviously bring some cash for emergencies (€ is probably just as good as $), but try to avoid bringing enough cash for the whole holiday.

If I were you I'd post the same questions on Lonely Planet's "Thorntree" site (http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com) ... somebody there will surely have up to date info on ATMs in Ethiopia.

Hey EvilDoctorK thanks very much for that info; i'll pay a visit to the lonely planet website now and have a look there as well. Yeah I'm arriving in Addis Ababa and very excited about the visit; after a few days we are flying to Lalibela for the Easter celebrations and will see the rock churches there. Then we might play it by ear after that. Will give a report when I get back.

Back