crt screen size v's lcd screen size

burns

Hi, thinking of going for an lcd tv and looking for some advice as to the size of screen to go for. The viewing distance from the tv will be approx 9 feet. Currently have an old 28 crt and would like to go bigger size but at the same time don't want the tv to swamp the room.
Should I notice a reasonable difference in viewing size if I go for a 32" lcd set. Thanks

Hi,

I have a 32" sony HD LCD. My brother has a 37" Sony HD LCD and the 32"
has a better picture quality as the image is not expanded as much.

The 37" is a very big tv for an average semi-d sittingroom.

I sit back about 9 or 10 feet away and it just looks cool!!! not too big, not too small. (Wall mounted, the best option I think).

Hope this is of some help.

As the lcd is typically further away, by 3 - 4 feet, the screen needs to be bigger to appear the same size, roughly to the tune of 15% (my esitmate, not scientific). Funny that.

You'll have to explain that last one: why would a LCD be further away, just because it's LCD?

You'll have to explain that last one: why would a LCD be further away, just because it's LCD?
The LCD may be further away as it will be flat panel allowing for it to be set that bit further back (not much point in having wasted space behind a TV so a large majority will be placed a little further back compared to a CRT in a similiar location).

One rule I've heard in the past is to place the screen a distance equivalent to 4 times the diagonal away from the viewer for standard def. So with a 9' distance, a 27" screen would be ideal. To fully appreciate HD, they recommend being closer to the screen.
Leo

What about the difference with aspect ratio? Older TVs were 4:3, where as newer widescreen ones are 16:9? To have the same "viewing area" as a 28 inch SD, a widescreen needs 30 inches, so 32 is only a small increase? Anything wrong with my logic here?

What about the difference with aspect ratio? Older TVs were 4:3, where as newer widescreen ones are 16:9? To have the same "viewing area" as a 28 inch SD, a widescreen needs 30 inches, so 32 is only a small increase? Anything wrong with my logic here?

Not sure, but Sky broadcast in 16:9 and DVD's are in widescreen. All LCD's and most other tv's can be set for whichever ratio you want.

Hi, thinking of going for an lcd tv and looking for some advice as to the size of screen to go for. The viewing distance from the tv will be approx 9 feet. Currently have an old 28 crt and would like to go bigger size but at the same time don't want the tv to swamp the room.
Should I notice a reasonable difference in viewing size if I go for a 32" lcd set. Thanks
A 28" CRT will have a viewable area of maybe only 26" so to switch to a 32" LCD (32" viewable) shouldmake a good difference.

Back