Crooked estate solicitor?

frankfred

We've been waiting for three years for my late fathers estate to be administered. The excuse given for the latest delay is "CAT concerns/ secondary accountability of the executors". Basically the solicitor and his friends/ executors want to get confirmation that my father didn't owe CAT on any inheritance he got from his father, in case they are found liable at a later date. Hence more fees, delays, and tax accountants.

It sounded plausible, if a bit excessive, until I did a quick google search and found that secondary accountability was removed in the Finance act of 2010 (except for non-residents).
Is this is the case? Should a professional solicitor, who advertises expertise in wills, not know this?
And if so, should i be worried about any money he has (?) been minding on our behalf since probate was granted over a year ago and what can I do to get the estate released? Theres been delay and excuse after delay and excuse, but this time I think I have genuine reason to be concerned.

Thanks,
Frank

Crooked.Estate. Solicitor.

Really?

Is it even remotely possible that unless the solicitors do their job properly and ascertain whether your father's estate has a liability to Revenue from CAT from his father's estate, that they cannot allow your father's estate to be distributed because then there will be a problem paying the CAT due by your father?

That has nothing to do with secondary liability. It is prudent.

And is this not all tied in with the difficulties you've had in this post?

http://www.askaboutmoney.com/threads/delay-in-insurance-payout.198547/

So the Crooked.Estate. Solicitor. tag is just an easy tag to attract attention?

mf

Not at all. Completely separate issues. Three years and counting with no progress on any front!
The solicitor in question should have picked up on the insurance policy delay, it shouldn't have been down to me to resolve.
If not crooked, proven to be incompetent. After three years one gets anxious in case there's something more sinister at play. You hear enough stories like this.

MF1,
I just confirmed with revenue that my view with regards to secondary liability is correct, and that they are happy to deal with me.
I just hope that the estate solicitor is too.

I understand your frustration in this matter and maybe the choice of words is not correct as from my experience what passes for law in Ireland is often cumbersome and slow.

Back