Credit Card Fraud

ondarack

I recently and unknowingly purchased a GHD from a fake supplier. As soon as I realised I emailed the company to cancell my order and refund my money but have heard nothing back from them yet. I checked my credit card and it has been charged for the amount under the title "oil painting". I am just wondering now should i cancel my credit card? Or will I just be charged the once for the fake product?

Hmmmm - not too sure.... if you will be stuck with that payment or not... Best to talk to the bank... I know that the credit card company will refund payment to your account on payments made in error / fraudulent use... but as you made the payment yourself in goodwill, then not too sure if you will be given a refund by the card company. Is this credit card through a bank? Best thing to do is ring the credit card company / bank, explain the situation... have all details on hand before you talk to them / dates / site you used / amount / etc... & get the persons name that you will be talking to... Make a note of that discussion with the cc company / bank... write EVERYTHING down...

Just hoping that your details won't be used to make other purchases....

If the supplier is not genuinely supplying goods, then you have a pretty solid case. Call/write to your credit card supplier and explain what's happened. They've probably already got a case opened on the supplier in question. If you can, get copies of any adverts/websites (print out the page in question) that led you to the purchase.

You do not need to cancel your credit card - let the credit card company make that decision. They may advise you to shut down the card, and issue you with a new one, or they may not.

I've always found credit card companies very helpful when the supplier is obviously not behaving. The sooner you act the better.

thanks very much for both replies. Its actually my girlfriends credit card and when she contacted the credit card company they just said that the money was not recoverable unless she does not get the product, and then in that case she would have to take them to court. We were just worried that other payments may be taken by the rouge company

That's fair enough - the CC company can't really determine that they're dealing with a rogue unless they've had a few reports in already. Ask again about the bit where they say you need to take the retailer to court - if you suspect that the retailer is a fraud, and has fraudulently charged your card with no intent to supply, then I think you are covered by the card's fraud protection. This is a big selling point for credit cards. Ask the CC company what exactly would constitute fraud in this circumstance. For instance, how long do you have to wait for (non)delivery before you can reasonably assume that the retailer was in fact a rogue?

Bank refusing to refund fraudulent debits

What is the position in Ireland where you have been scammed (e.g. card skimmed) but the credit card company refuses to refund the money?

I know that in the UK you must go through the bank's internal complaints system and then go to the ombudsman. Is it the same in Ireland?

Yes same here and then after all (which will likely take more than a year) that the Ombudsman will take the side of the bank and reckon you were negligent.

Cheers dereko1969.

Listening to Moneybox on BBC Radio 4 it appears they have a much better system. Over there, the bank has to give benefit of doubt and refund money and thereafter prove negligence if they want to take it again. Their Ombudsman rules in favour of consumer in more than 50% of cases.

Back