Credit Card Debt

RedStix

Hi everyone

Just a quick question i'd love some advice on.

Back in September, my OH's sister got into some difficulty with her rent payments and went into arrears (council house). She received numerous letters from the council about the arrears and told no one until she was summonsed to court. Eventually she came clean to me about it, but the only way she was going to be allowed stay in the house was to pay some of the arrears and she was scared stiff as she has a few children and also because a couple of neighbours had been evicted from their house a few months earlier for the same reason.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, we ended up giving her €4,000 towards clearing the debt. Because we didn't have much time (4 days before court date we found out), my partner couldn't find any other reasonable way to come up with the money apart from taking it out on his credit card as we've no savings left as of last summer when we cleared every loan we had with them.

So now the problem is the €50 per week payback has not been forthcoming, and my partner is currently paying almost €200 per month interest alone for the priviledge of helping her out. I cannot see her repaying it anytime soon (if flippin ever!) so what are our best options? Because the interest is so much, we seem to be paying it but not able to get near the prinicipal amount itself.

Any advice would be great as we cannot keep paying €200 a month interest for the privilege of giving this woman a loan!!

Thanks

Red,
I think you already know the answer. You will have to borrow it from the bank and clear the CC loan. If the Bank wont give it to you (cant see a problem) the Credit Union will. I cleared all my Credit cards with a Credit Union loan.

Would it be possible to transfer the balance to another card with lower interest to clear it? Someone suggested this to me yesterday but i don't know if its a good route or not?

We'd potentially clear it in about 5-6 months if the interest wasn't such a killer. At this rate its gonna take a lot longer to clear it.

Transfer the balance to a new card with 0% for six month offer. Save you the €200 a month interest anyway. Halifax off it. NIB do too I think. Not sure of anywhere else. Check the best buys

The amount of interest seems excessive - can you give details of the credit card and issuer, interest rate etc. please?
Another point is that even if your sister did repay the €50 a week, that amount still would not be clearing the principal.

Back