Crazy paving

dodo

Any one know a good and fair price for crazing paving south Dublin if Possiable

Not sure about dublin but we got a quote for a smalish patch to be done and it was €2500!!! We are in Kildare. Is this type of paving popular??

2500 sounds alot, I take it the paving was included , I got a price from a guy who was recommended by a friend for an average size say in total 35 sqm for around 2200 with a few extra bits thrown in

hi folks

dodo your about right... 'paving' should cost approx 60-100 per m2 - this will obviously vary on type of stone/ back or front/ soil etc.

so make sure you are told what exact stone will be used in the crazy paving. indian sanstone etc

best of luck

ps. as I have said before and will say again [as a person in the trade]

Please can people ensure that:
- the conractor is qualified
- he/ she is a limited company
- they are 'fully' insured
- they are C2 registered ie. tax is up to date
- you get a contract with reference to your spec
- they are registered with the ALCI [landscape contractors assoc. of Ireland] or the GLDA [Garden Landscape designers association] These associations are there for a reason and a builder would not allow a non RECI electrician wire your house.
- your spec says pot size/ plant size/ tree girth/ trellice
lawn rate/ per metre squared and total
hourly/ daily rate x job duration etc. ie. very detailed
- you dont give money up front - ITS NOT NECESSARY !!!

hi, we just our garden landscaped and got a few quotes, we got them through yellow pages ads. The cheapest was €7500 but then a guy recommended someone who did an exellent job. I doubt he met all of oirish's criteria but he did a tidy and neat job for €4900. The point im makin is that get recommendations from friends and neighbours and ask about their experiences of these companies and you could save yourself a few quid like us- the price of a nice holiday in fact!!

boost said:
hi, we just our garden landscaped and got a few quotes, we got them through yellow pages ads. The cheapest was €7500 but then a guy recommended someone who did an exellent job. I doubt he met all of oirish's criteria but he did a tidy and neat job for €4900. The point im makin is that get recommendations from friends and neighbours and ask about their experiences of these companies and you could save yourself a few quid like us- the price of a nice holiday in fact!!

Yes, very true, I can see where oirish is coming from though, its all too late once youve handed that loot over, get reccomendation or qualified tied up to a good place as he said.

My hubby being in the trade too, has always got work by word of mouth, apart from when he first started up, never asks for up front loot, unless its over 10k, then its wise to have a deposit, this establishes trust on both sides. Crazy paving can look nice, heres one he did many years ago though:)

[broken link removed]

boost said:

Boost - maybe you were lucky to get value for 4900 but if your garden is nice I'd really think the 7900 is superb - not more expensive. Its sound like going into a car dealer and asking for a car one offers you a Lada and the other offers you a Ford Focus. Who's the rip off ???

as to quote some of what I said yesterday....

Anybody can give a cheaper quotation and as a landscape designer/ contractor this really gets my goat on two levels

1. the contractor gives no spec. and the client does not know what exactly s/he is getting.client can get ripped off without knowing

2.someone asks for 3 quotes and none of them sing from the same hymn sheet!no price can ever be the same unless a landscape architect is involved or the spec drawn up is given to each contractor.

I really dont know if anybody would ask for a price to get a new house built without a more detailed spec and accept that as a pricing structure and in no other trade would it happen.

Please - the amount of calls we get to our office to rectify projects or to consult where this has happened. Most of the associations companies may even give free telephone advice [rather than too much neighbourly advice].

Regarding the 3 quotes!!! be very careful - the last article i wrote ended with cheaper can often be more tearful than cheerful. I think that will sum up my frustrations for tonight and I am sure there are lots of you who have horror stories!

AAM is a great place to ask all of your questions or queries but sometimes you need to be site specific. [sorry AAM] as not all gardens can be the same. Keep the queries coming and as best I / any other amply qualified AAM monitor/ horticulturist can advise all.

Its been a long day for me alone personally where one person handed over 3k to a no show four months ago. The second was given a price of €8k for a €4.2k lawn and the third cant see out her back window.

Slan agus beannacht

ps. in no way am I saying your contractor is a bad person.
ps2 cheers lala and good luck to the hubby - weathers not too good at the mo' for us.

ps. as I have said before and will say again [as a person in the trade]

Please can people ensure that:
- the conractor is qualified
- he/ she is a limited company
- they are 'fully' insured
- they are C2 registered ie. tax is up to date
- you get a contract with reference to your spec
- they are registered with the ALCI [landscape contractors assoc. of Ireland] or the GLDA [Garden Landscape designers association] These associations are there for a reason and a builder would not allow a non RECI electrician wire your house.
- your spec says pot size/ plant size/ tree girth/ trellice
lawn rate/ per metre squared and total
hourly/ daily rate x job duration etc. ie. very detailed
- you dont give money up front - ITS NOT NECESSARY !!!

What about the guy who is setting up his own business, if he was asked all that fro every job he looked at he might as well Starve cause he not going to make any money to buy his dinner.

I'm not giving out, but every contractor has to start somewhere and has to be givin that chance. Just because contractor is not C2 reg or is not a ltd company or is not registered with an assocation does not mean he is not reliable or unable to do a good job. From what you are saying, I will presume you work for yourself or run a medium+ company. If so, did you not have to start from the ground up?

You do have some good points but I have to disagree with some of them.

Take it easy

I'm on this side of the fence as well
My qualifications mean jack squat here so i had to start from scratch again and my word was all I had and it's worked for me. have regular maintainance properties and other regular gigs without most of what was on the 'list'
so for us who starting on our own we go on our work ethic and record and some of the 'list'
What about the guy who is setting up his own business, if he was asked all that fro every job he looked at he might as well Starve cause he not going to make any money to buy his dinner.

I'm not giving out, but every contractor has to start somewhere and has to be givin that chance. Just because contractor is not C2 reg or is not a ltd company or is not registered with an assocation does not mean he is not reliable or unable to do a good job. From what you are saying, I will presume you work for yourself or run a medium+ company. If so, did you not have to start from the ground up?

You do have some good points but I have to disagree with some of them.

Take it easy

I agree with the last two posters.
ps. as I have said before and will say again [as a person in the trade] Please can people ensure that: - the conractor is qualified - he/ she is a limited company
Why, sole trader not good enough?
- they are 'fully' insured - they are C2 registered ie. tax is up to date
Are they subbing?
- you get a contract with reference to your spec - they are registered with the ALCI [landscape contractors assoc. of Ireland] or the GLDA [Garden Landscape designers association] These associations are there for a reason and a builder would not allow a non RECI electrician wire your house.
You cannot be accepted to these organisations without an existing portfolio of work.
the official GLDA site [url said:
www.glda.ie/about_us/membership_categories.html[/url] Full Membership is for people who have been in professional practice for a minimum of three years as a garden / landscape designer and can show the results of independent design work. The Applicant must submit a very detailed portfolio for assessment, which is carried out by an independent neutral Assessment Panel consisting of horticultural and academic experts, whose brief is to recommend for Full Membership only those whose portfolios reflect a high standard of professionalism in garden and landscape design.
Which comes first the chicken or the egg. I have a feeling that if certain qualified persons in the trade had one green eye and one blue eye, that this would become in their eyes a prerequisite for attaining approved contractor status. A case of moving the goalposts I think.

How did you paving experience eventually work out. Im looking to get some paving done in Terenure and I am looking for someone who is reasonably priced and competent

Back