Crash barriers on M50

...there are already some crash barriers on the M50...They protect the uprights of overpass bridges... Column Kenny article Sindo 5/12/04
Doh!
No Column! They protect you and others, from coming to a sudden stop, ala 'unstoppable gobshite meets immovable object'!

Speaking of crash barriers and how safe they are if you hit them, what about the concrete barriers they are using on the M11 at Bray/Shankill while they are working on the road?

Or for that matter, on the N11 itself south of Kilmacanague?

They don't look very safe to me.

Wouldn't like to hit one of those at 60 mph...

N11

As It happens I saw a car hit the Red and White plastic Barriers that used to be at Kilmacanogue. The car flipped over and landed on it's side.

The driver walked away from it, a bit shaken, but no serious injuries (that I could see).

Not sure if he'd have walked away from a smack into concrete.

5th Gear on Channel 5 did a test of smacking soem small cars into concrete barriers at 70mph. The cars stood up to it pretty well. A Smart car actully cracked the concrete, so there is some absorbtion in the concrete.

The cars would have physically protected the occupants fairly well, but the decelaration would have killed them.

-Rd

Re: N11

As It happens I saw a car hit the Red and White plastic Barriers that used to be at Kilmacanogue. The car flipped over and landed on it's side.

Hmm - I just presumed they were concrete.

I'm not too inclined to crash into them just to find out... :)

Concrete

I think the ones you're thinking of are concrete, but
this was about 2 years ago, when they were building the footbridge near the petrol stations.

-Rd

Crash barriers won't excuse driver behaviour

I was driving home this evening... travelling on the M50 northbound... and low and behold what do I see JUST before the Firhouse exit??

A car 'dumped' (?) on the median, with the bumper just inside the 'fast' lane... facing the WRONG way!

I mean, for someone to have parked the thing there they would have had to have driven the car into oncoming northbound traffic... or otherwise they may have been travelling northbound and attempted to do a donut on the M50!??!? I can't see any other way of how it got in THAT position... but it demonstrates what sort of F**kin STUPID behaviour is out there! :mad

On exiting the motorway, I promptly telephoned Rathfarnham Garda Station to alert them of the car... but I am EXTREMELY disgusted at what I saw given the recent press coverage of safety on the motorway...

soc

Re: Crash barriers won't excuse driver behaviour

I did see some genius changing a tyre on a concrete patch in the median on the M50 on Sunday.

Back