Crackdown on Prov License Drivers - Will it stick?

I think it would make more sense to have along with the theory test when gaining a provisional licence or learners permit, to attend a driving school. Would be great if this was part of the school curriculam.

Then maybe after that, have to do a certain amount of hours lessons as a learner driver.Yes, this would cost a lot of money but i think there is too much emphasis being put on 20 minutes of a test.

If you haven't passed the exam you're not qualified. Simple as. It's a lethal weapon so surely there has to be some restriction on who can use it!

okay what about those that got licences without tests - they are not qualified either - It's a pity you don't need a licence for a high horse!

Surely the insurance costs alone would put someone off accepting such a position without a full licence?

Very remiss of an employer to accept a provisionally licensed driver for such a position also.

I had full licence for 5 years and there was still girls on provisional licences getting cheaper insurance than me.

Alot of positions require mobility and the employers would require the best person for the job not the best driver. If you are not using company car or insurance why would it bother the employer wheter you were on a provisional or not

I think it would make more sense to have along with the theory test when gaining a provisional licence or learners permit, to attend a driving school. Would be great if this was part of the school curriculam.

An excellent suggestion.

Some peoples responds and suggestions seem good.
I am still getting the feedback from people that all learner drivers are at fault from accidents.
Full licence drivers nearly crashed into me because they did not obey the rules of the road!.
I think all drivers should be made resit the exam after 5 years.
With relation to going on my bike to work thats ok if you don't have to bring your kid to school as well.

The road is so dangerous for any driver never mind cyclist!

Some peoples responds and suggestions seem good.
I am still getting the feedback from people that all learner drivers are at fault from accidents.
Full licence drivers nearly crashed into me because they did not obey the rules of the road!.
I think all drivers should be made resit the exam after 5 years.
With relation to going on my bike to work thats ok if you don't have to bring your kid to school as well.

The road is so dangerous for any driver never mind cyclist!

marnif - dont they have school buses for kids? Not being smart - I actually dont know, but I do see school buses in the mornings?

If you were to cancel your car insurance I believe you will be refunded any outstanding amount left on the policy (say 6 months). Does this apply to Road Tax or is it just too bad if you paid for 12 months and then take your car off the road? I mean logically that is what anyone who is going to obey this law and not take a chance should do.

Realistically if the gardai do attempt to enforce this they will stop the young drivers and ask for their licences in the same way I notice near us now that they regularly stop lots of the young male drivers but leave older people (often the locals actually going home after a few pints !) drive on. Its inevitable that they will catch people this way and shouldn't take too long to run up lots of revenue in fines. I expect it is unlikely that the middle aged people with only provisional licences on the school run are going to be treated as suspicious enough to even ask.

As I've said earlier (before I am attacked for defending young male drivers on second provisional licences!) I agree with this new implementation of the rules, just not the timing.

Why not, if you've paid for the car, paid for tax, insurance & petrol. Why doesnt it give you the right to drive it? (taking into account that lessons have been taking & theory test passed etc)

Cool, I think I'll buy a helicopter and only pay for a couple of lessons. That should see me right.

A test is just that, a test. It indicates you are *fully* qualified to operate the machinery. Let's not forget that. Could anyone just up and drive a truck, forklift etc?

THe basic principles are there, all the rest is personal and individual feelings based on their own lives/situations. Which have no bearing on the cold facts.

Change is hard. We can't all complain about road deaths and then gripe when they make a change that has the potential to reduce road deaths. Take it on the chin!

Ive just spent 2 hours driving home from work via the M50 on a provisional licence without a fully licenced driver beside me and spent the time tuning in and out of current affairs programs and to say I'm quietly fuming at the developments is an understatement.

and what where you doing on a MOTORWAY on a provisional driving lisence?!
You are not -and have never been- allowed to drive on a motorway on a provisional lisence be it your 1st or 2nd or 3rd so you are already breaking the law.

On a different note, I do agree that's it's a bit hasty. It's a good thing to enforce this law and it has to be done sooner or later but they could do it in a more sensible way:

- no new provisional lisence holders (from a given date) to be allowed to drive on their own.

- existing provisional lisence holders be given 6 months to acquire a full one, after that same to apply to them.

I failed my driving test twice as well (2nd time my because one of my brake lights wasn't working). But instead of moaning I checked where there is a shortest waiting period, it was Loughrea at the time, so booked a test (within 4 months or so) in there, got a few lessons, went there for a day trip, and passed the test.
Surely if driving is so vital for someone they could go through an inconvenience like that for a day... You should have done so earlier, before taking a job so far away from home that requires you driving on motorway on a provisional lisence.

A test is just that, a test. It indicates you are *fully* qualified to operate the machinery. Let's not forget that. Could anyone just up and drive a truck, forklift etc?

Well according to the new rules having actually passed the driving test we are now having to put another sticker on the car for a full 2 years.
For most people the best thing about passing the test is to be able to get rid of those L plate stickers.

- no new provisional lisence holders (from a given date) to be allowed to drive on their own.

- existing provisional lisence holders be given 6 months to acquire a full one, after that same to apply to them.

This sounds like a plan, you should be in government lol

Dont you feel the timing was crazy when all those payrises came out also lol

truthseeker

If there was school buses - it would be great but there is none where I am.

If our poiticians can afford to give themselves payrises, then they can afford more test centres and testers.

my tax is up on the 31st of Oct. If i decide not to drive it, do i have to tax it. It was my first tax disc for 3months.

Also can anyone clarify that if you decide to drive the car without an experienced driver, are you covered under insurance if fully comp & had an accident. Touch wood never will.

some conflicting sides on the radio with Dempsey saying your not covered & insurance companies ringing to say contracts have not changed.
I cant get hold of my insurance company.

Why are you 'without choice'?
Can you not take your driving test? Or use public transport?
I was in the same situation as Brianc afew years ago and had no choice but to continue driving as a provisional for a long time while waiting for my test date.As i work irregular hours using public transport was not an potion and not everyone,including myself is walking distance from bus and train stations anyway.When you are paying off a morgage,college loans etc...some people have no choice but to drive to work.

Can anyone of us with full licences honestly say they never once drove unaccompanied while on a provisional, I doubt it.

Oh yes I can put my hand on my heart and state that I have never once drove alone on a provisional licence.

Why, the simple reason is that I learned to drive up North, where the rules are the way they should be; none of this 2nd provisional licence drivers driving alone business. You wouldn't even consider driving without a fully licenced driver up there. It is about time we got our act together and followed suit.

"The Insurance Federation of Ireland confirmed that the change in law effecting second provisional licence holders will not change their insurance status." [broken link removed]

Can we trust this statement?

Als, a lot of people are wondering whats the story for people who are an more than 2 provisional licenses? Is there something special about 2?

Those people who are complaining that they can't take their children to school should take a long hard look at themselves. Do you really want to drive your kids around as an unproven driver.

Not only are you putting you own life in danger; you are also putting their lives in danger; that is an absolute disgrace.

While I support the change I think it's absolutley crazy and typical of the idiots that run this country to just dump this on L drivers without properly addressing the waiting lists. Yes-in some areas its been reduced slightly but mainly in Dublin and surounds. There is more to the country than just Dublin Mr. Brennan.

I honestly just can't believe that someone has suggested using public transport! Now that has made me laugh....cheers!

If you really need a test quickly, write yoursself a letter saying that you are a company offerin gyou a job and you need your licence. This does work. I did myself and got a test within 5 weeks. I now have a nice pink licence.

Still laughing about the public transport comments....keep it up you beauties!!
best of luck Sn@kebite

Back