Cowen goes back to school!

I wouldn't be doing a €50k six week course .... oh ... I might though .. with the big pot of taxpayer's money I'd have in my back pocket.

The course appears to be for those with high aspirations towards influential office/post/jobs etc. .... surely Cowen should have learned his lesson by now (as should asny prospective employer) that it's a case of things being best left alone.

I wouldn't put Cowen in charge of a cat!

Last edited:
What has how he spends his money got anything to do you at all? If you want to moan about his large pension, then fair enough but this wins the award of the most ridiculous news story of the year in my book.

I wouldn't be doing a €50k six week course .... oh ... I might though .. with the big pot of takpayer's money I'd have in my back pocket.

The course appears to be for those with high aspirations towards influential office/post/jobs etc. .... surely Cowen should have learned his lesson by now (as should asny prospective employer) that it's a case of things being best left alone.

I wouldn't put Cowen in charge of a cat!

Maybe a spelling course for you...!

He is doing a course that he is paying for.

The gutter press media think that a private citizen is not entitled to privacy.

The gutter press media think that a private citizen is not entitled to privacy.

He maybe a private citizen now but a few short years ago this lump of uselessness rode this Country off a cliff through utter incompetent mismanagement,so yes I personally have an interest in what hes doing,it sure isn't what I think he should be doing...

..that would be 20 years in Mountjoy.

He maybe a private citizen now but a few short years ago this lump of uselessness rode this Country off a cliff through utter incompetent mismanagement,so yes I personally have an interest in what hes doing,it sure isn't what I think he should be doing...

Someone once told me that in most jobs people rise / get promoted until they find their level of incompetence... i.e. you're good enough at each successive level to get promoted, but then eventually you reach the level where you actually aren't up to scratch. I always thought Cowen was very impressive as a Minister; I remember him steamrolling poor Richard Bruton on Q&A more than once, in the lead up to Fianna Fail winning the penultimate election.

I can't really reconcile how / why you think Cowen should be in Mountjoy for poor decisions made while Taoiseach? Unless you believe it's a crime not to be good at your job?

IMHO there are plenty of people more responsible for the state this country is in than Cowen, who are still enjoying their liberty.

for what crime?

for what crime?

The Financial mismanagement of the State bordering on Economic Treason.

Where have you been the last 5 years that you missed the part where we lost sovereignty and have the EU/IMF/ECB running the Country.

Unemployment at 15%

The Billions of bankster debt landed on the Tax Payer

MORE than 1.8 million people are struggling to survive on €100 or less a month after bills are paid.

Services cut to the bone,property taxes,water taxes etc ad nauseum

All this can be traced back to two men,one is Clown the other Aherne,Cowen while he was Finance Minister and Taoiseach oversaw all this and exacerbated it at every turn and don't give me any ould guff about lehman brothers or the World economy,he was the leader of this Country,the buck stops firmly with him.

IMHO there are plenty of people more responsible for the state this country is in than Cowen, who are still enjoying their liberty.

There really cannot be that many,he was the leader of the Country and sorry but the buck stops with him.

Iceland recently had their leader tried for something similar,in this Country we fire a couple of hundred grand at them and give them a pension of a similar amt for life...to use that hateful clowenism,no wonder "we are where we are"

Where have you been the last 5 years that you missed the part where we lost sovereignty and have the EU/IMF/ECB running the Country.

Unemployment at 15%

MORE than 1.8 million people are struggling to survive on €100 or less a month after bills are paid.

All this can be traced back to two men,one is Clown the other Aherne,Cowen while he was Finance Minister and Taoiseach oversaw all this and exacerbated it at every turn and don't give me any ould guff about lehman brothers or the World economy,he was the leader of this Country,the buck stops firmly with him.

Well based on your expectations, the salary for Taoiseach (and pension!) should probably be an awful lot higher...

I've see you posting about property & mortgages etc as someone who has investment property(s) - did you have such a dim view of Biffo and Bertie when their policies were inflating your own personal portfolio?!

Well based on your expectations, the salary for Taoiseach (and pension!) should probably be an awful lot higher...

Bang on the mark there,we really should be tripling the amt we pay our political elites in order that we get the best caliber of individuals for the job...

That worked out really well for us now didn't it?

I understand piling on weight in a stressful job, I've done it myself!

But his course won't be much good to him if he's heading for an early grave

I hope the man starts taking better care of himself.

Hadn't seen any photos of him since last year and he looks much the same

That's fairly awful, The Mail doing a papparazzi job on him over in America.

He should be given a bit of peace.

Unemployment at 15%

Incompetence, and the consequences of that, is not a criminal offence. Neither, to my knowledge, is 'economic treason' (whatever that means).

What statutory crime do you believe he, or anyone else, should be charged with ?

Bang on the mark there,we really should be tripling the amt we pay our political elites in order that we get the best caliber of individuals for the job...

That worked out really well for us now didn't it?

I note you've replied to my statement, rather than the question I posed you... I'll draw my own conclusions so? ;)

'economic treason' (whatever that means).

Its really not that difficult a concept to understand.

“If the Taoiseach’s Government knew Ango Irish Bank was insolvent and he asked the Irish taxpayer to bail it out and to pay the cost we are now paying for it, that was and is economic treason. I stand over that.” Eamon Gilmore speaking in the Dail in January 2011

Once a tribunal is established look in depth at what has been the biggest con job ever pulled on the Irish people the bank guarantee then we will see those involved tried on a statutory basis.

I've see you posting about property & mortgages etc as someone who has investment property(s) - did you have such a dim view of Biffo and Bertie when their policies were inflating your own personal portfolio?!

Thats similar to blaming the passengers of the Tiatanic for its demise because they were enjoying the trip right up to the point the Captain ran it into an iceberg.:)

Thats similar to blaming the passengers of the Tiatanic for its demise because they were enjoying the trip right up to the point the Captain ran it into an iceberg.:)

So you admit you didn't have a problem with their policies while they were (by your estimation) sowing the seeds of our economic destruction.

I don't agree with the Titanic analogy either - the Taoiseach doesn't have the kind of executive power that a ship's captain does.

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, and with the benefit of it we'd all have done plenty of things differently in our personal and professional lives.

I do agree with you on one thing though, in time the facts surrounding how the guarantee came about will all be known, and I'll make my mind up about Cowen et al then. In the meantime, good luck to him in his new career.

Back