cowboy tarmac installers

DeclanP

Tarmac was put down on a driveway around my house a year ago but there was no sealer put on. The tarmac is now beginning to ravel and become loose and it is only a matter of time before it crumbles completely. I tried contacting those who laid the tarmac but they don't want to know. I was told by them at the time that they had sealed it but someone looked at it and assured me they didn't.

My question is: Can I put sealer on the tarmac and if so how do I do it and where do I get the sealer from? Can't afford to fork out more money to a tarmac contractor.

why pay out to seal it when they should have? have you hinted the law to them. They seem to have taken your money under false pretences

Not 100% but, my understanding of Tarmacadam is that it is self sealing - the Bitumin that binds the gravel is the "sealer".

There are 2 obvious problems with most cowboy installations; either the groundworks haven't been done properly and all you have is a lovely black top coat and nothing of substance beneath (fur coat and no knickers) or else they didn't use proper Tarmacadam and only used "cold mix" which is only designed for temporary use e.g. potholes or temporary backfills to make a footpath safe until the concreting guys get aroud to finish the job properly.

Was the Tar very obviously HOT when it was laid and stay hot for most of the day after it went down?

Back