covering front garden cost?

Tebbit

I'm just wondering what kind of options there are for covering a front garden so I no longer have grass?? I have a very small front garden and just wonder if anyone could roughly give me an idea what the cost per square meter might be for a stone covering? a tarmac covering? or what other alternative types of covering are there????

Spray it yourself with roundup, put down weedblock and get a delivery of stone. The most expensive part will be the stone as you will need 4/6 inches of depth - if you have the garden measurements, your local stone supplier/builders merchant will tell you how much you need and the cost.

I thought I would have to dig it out also? T o make room for the stones and take away the top soil?

Hi Tebbit
I have just covered my grass, sorry ,moss with weedblock and stone. Each side of my driveway is approx. 10m by 5m. The weedblock is roughly 84 euro per roll for 50m by 1.5m and one roll covered one side, with a little left . The stone that I got was 20mm and it costs just under 100 euro per ton bag. Believe me one ton does not go too far. I got five for each side. Because my driveway entrance is not very wide I had to get the bags . Some of the quarry companies would probably be cheaper. No need to dig the grass up.

I would certainly dig up the soil to make space for a proper depth of stone, also check if some drainage is required, this is the time to do it. I would also use at least 2 layers of the best weedblock material available. Some of it is good for nothing really. Also be aware there's a big, big, difference in the garden stone for sale. A bit like painting, people think you just slap it on the wall and there you go. A good landscaper is worth his/her weight in gold, same as a good painter.

Back