Court told how long queues in AIB branch creating difficulties in paying off €84k mortgage arrears

That's a, er, creative excuse alright. :)
But on the topic of banks not facilitating customers in making mortgage payments ... I am well aware that BoI don't allow customers to pay their mortgage directly from their BoI current account other than by DD or by over the phone Debit Card payments.
They don't allow direct transfer of the funds from the current account to the mortgage account and they don't allow the mortgage to be set up as a bill payment for payment on demand using online banking.
But you CAN transfer/pay the money from a non BoI current account.
Really stupid setup on BoI's part.
I wonder if AIB adopt the same stupid policy and your man wasn't simply able to pay the money via online banking or something?

Banks seem to go out of their way to make it awkard to lodge against your mortgage. Ulster Bank Anytime won't allow me to make an adhoc payment against my mortgage. Some months where I have a bit left over, it would be nice to sweep some of it in against my mortgage

That's a, er, creative excuse alright. :)
But on the topic of banks not facilitating customers in making mortgage payments ... I am well aware that BoI don't allow customers to pay their mortgage directly from their BoI current account other than by DD or by over the phone Debit Card payments.
They don't allow direct transfer of the funds from the current account to the mortgage account and they don't allow the mortgage to be set up as a bill payment for payment on demand using online banking.
But you CAN transfer/pay the money from a non BoI current account.
Really stupid setup on BoI's part.
I wonder if AIB adopt the same stupid policy and your man wasn't simply able to pay the money via online banking or something?
I can pay into my BO1 mortgage on Internet banking. You just need to have your mortgage account linked to your current account online.

What do you mean "linked"?
A friend had their current account and mortgage with BoI.
They could see both accounts on online banking.
But they could not transfer/pay into the mortgage account from the current account or pay it as a bill.
Bank of Ireland told them that this was not possible.
They had to call them and do the payments via debit card.
Ultimately they moved their current account to PTSB and now can just transfer from there to the BoI mortgage account.
And they no longer have any current account charges.
Maybe since then BoI have gotten their act together?

The mortgage account can be registered as an account for payment. You will need to obtain the IBAN and BIC for BOI mortgages. Insert your own mortgage account number under the reference .

That definitely didn't work when I tried it on my friend's account and BoI said that it was not possible.
Maybe it works since SEPA etc. or something?
How long have you been doing it?

That definitely didn't work when I tried it on my friend's account and BoI said that it was not possible.
Maybe it works since SEPA etc. or something?
How long have you been doing it?
Have been using this method of payment into my mortgage account for over a year.

I've paid lump sums into my Danske Bank mortgage via the new Pepper online account. I transfer the money out of my TSB Current account, which is the account where regular DDs come out for the monthly mortgage. Perhaps that is why I can do it, as the accounts are "linked" by the DD mandate. Anyway, there is a limit of €5000, but more can be done by successive daily transfers.

Back