Court Order against apartment owner '07 but not enforced.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mercman

A Court Order was made against the owner of an apartment above mine but was not enforced by the Management Co, leaving me with a huge legal bill trying to have the order enacted upon, as my property could not be let out. The owner has left the country for bankruptcy purposes and the property has been repossessed by his Bank. The property has been placed on the market For Sale by the Bank. Where does this leave me in the case of the property been sold, the legal bills and the Order itself ??

Against whom did you take the legal action?

If you won a case against the Management Company, did you also get your costs?

If you got an award against the individual, I don't think it's worth anything if the guy is now bankrupt.

If you registered a judgement against the property, it would rank after the bank's mortgage.

Brendan

The legal action was taken against the person as owner of the above property. The case was taken jointly with the MC against the said individual. The MC didn't do their duty to have the action enforced. He may be bankrupt for the purpose of clearing Bank Debt but he will have access to funds when his Banktuptcy is over. Purposely didn't go down the route of a judgement as was well aware of the Bank's interest.

So now I own a property that is unable to be let. The terms of the lease have been severely breached and the MC have their heads firmly stuck in the sand.

Had this to do with wooden floors in an overhead apartment? The case sounds vaguely familiar.

The Management Company could/should have proceeded to forfeiture of the property due to breach of lease. It's complicated and difficult but not impossible.

Shesells, correct I have posted about this previously. The MC failed miserably in this case. They simply refused to deal with the matter. Didn't collect the management fees for nearly six years. I've paid my dues and have been persecuted by the apartment above as it was impossible to let out mine. Meanwhile, yer man above hasn't paid a penny capital off his mortgage and the Bank are trying to sell the apartment at a seven figure loss. Bankruptcy by design IMO.

What is the situation with the MC - is the developer still in control? Who are the directors? Did you stand as a director?

This is an old block (over 25 years) and the developer has long gone. The Directors are owners who all have their properties rented. I never wanted to be a Director thank you. But I have paid over €10 k in legal fees since the Court Case for doing the job of the MC, lest not been able to let my own place. It's a good job that they have a sinking fund.

I never wanted to be a Director thank you

That's part of the problem, relying on other people to move this forward for you. I never wanted to be a director but once the MC was handed over by the developer I realised that the person to best protect my interests and my investment was me. And so I stood at the AGM and have been elected at every AGM since. We have had changes on the board over the years so have had fresh input but there's an active core of owners on the board. There's no way your situation would have been allowed to develop here.

In what way did the owner above you prevent you from renting out your apartment? What was the court case about?

He didn't prevent me from letting the property personally, but he placed a wooden floor in the apartment so every bit of noise from above could be heard. Basically broke the terms of the lease after him swearing to all and sundry that he had no intention of installing a wooden floor, amongst other things. My tenant left the property and since the Court Case the Management Company did little or nothing to check if the Court Order was acted upon, which it wasn't.

Perhaps, but the property cannot be sold until it is put back into a condition that abides with the terms of the lease and any outstanding monies are settled.

Nope. And it's too late now as the Management Co dragged their heels in dealing with the matter. The entire is a pathetic farce. The solicitors acting for the MC are a joke. It really is a good job that the MC are holding surplus funds.

Perhaps, but the property cannot be sold until it is put back into a condition that abides with the terms of the lease and any outstanding monies are settled.

I wouldn't be so sure about the wooden floors being taken up. No solicitor is going to ask for that. But I guess the management fees will be paid before it's sold. I presume that all solicitors insist on this for their purchasers, but just in case I'd be making sure said solicitor knows about the arrears.

You don't want to scupper the sale as anyone would be better than previous owner? So it's a positive thing it's being sold.

What good would it have been for the MC to go after the owner, he didn't even pay his mortgage and is now bankrupt so going to court against him would only cost the MC and to what end. You cannot get money where there isn't any.

You cannot get money where there isn't any.

The said person has access to huge funds. They have simply given the two fingers to the courts and legal system. This is what I'd call 'Designer Bankruptcy --Irish style.

In relation to the wooden floors, this is specifically handled in the lease, where it clearly states that no wooden floors are to be laid in the properties. The MC made some massive mistakes and they are really going to have to pay for my loss.

The said person has access to huge funds.

In relation to the wooden floors, this is specifically handled in the lease, where it clearly states that no wooden floors are to be laid in the properties. The MC made some massive mistakes and they are really going to have to pay for my loss.

How do you know they have access to funds, you mean they are hiding money?

Ok the wooden floors are in the lease, but would a solicitor for the purchaser note such a thing when doing the sale?

How do you intend to get money from the MC. That weakens the MC for everybody, would cost them but ultimately would cost all apartment owners? What exactly are you going to do to get money from them and on what grounds? What is your goal, other than to get you costs and is it worth it?

How do you know they have access to funds, you mean they are hiding money?

How do you intend to get money from the MC. That weakens the MC for everybody, would cost them but ultimately would cost all apartment owners? What exactly are you going to do to get money from them and on what grounds?

No, I have never intimated that they are hiding money. I've had to pay large legal fees for doing the job the MC should have done. In case you weren't aware apartment owners do have rights as well.

No, I have never intimated that they are hiding money. .

You have said the previous owner has access to funds, but is still able to go bankrupt and not pay their mortgage so it seemed to me he was hiding money.

You have said the previous owner has access to funds, but is still able to go bankrupt and not pay their mortgage so it seemed to me he was hiding money.

Your perception of the matter, not mine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back