Counter thread:Who's the BEST member of the government

I'm going for Brian Lenihen. Make of that what you will.

He's yet to appear in the Worst Member thread.

Barack Obama seems to come across quite well.

or maybe one of those e-voting machines. Could they be classed as a member of government?

Mary Hanifan comes across as if she knows what she is talking about, there's not many that can be said of.

Does anyone know where I could access Ceann Comhairle John O' Donoghue's exchange with another TD (can't remember who it was) in the Dáil soon after he took up the position. You know the one:-

"You will sit down!"

"I won't sit down!"

"You will sit down!"

"I won't sit down!" etc.

Absolute Classic Dáil moment! :D

I'm going for Brian Lenihen. Make of that what you will.

He's yet to appear in the Worst Member thread.

He was left out in the cold by Bertie also so was not part of the government in the boom years when money was squandered. Cowen was finance minister so has to take a large chunk of responsibility.

I've always liked Mary O'Rourke for some reason. I just think she's likeable in an earthy/mumsy way - reminds me of the way Marian Finucane goes on. How effective she actually is is maybe up for debate though.

As I said on the other thread, I think Dermot Ahern is more capable/professional than most.

Mary Hanifan comes across as if she knows what she is talking about, there's not many that can be said of.
Mary Hanafin, in at least three recent interviews, has rabbited on about the need to "take money out of the economy". That gets her my vote as economically clueless.

We need to reduce exchequer expenditure since exchequer income has dropped so drastically, but taking money out of the economy is an undesirable side effect of this with its own negative economic consequences, not an end in itself.

Incidentally, only full Ministers are members of the Government. Others may be members of government parties, but that's not the same. Article 28 of the Constitution.

Tricky question. BEST is hard to swallow, least bad might me more apt. Maybe, at a push, Barry Andrews.

Mary Hanafin, in at least three recent interviews, has rabbited on about the need to "take money out of the economy". That gets her my vote as economically clueless.

We need to reduce exchequer expenditure since exchequer income has dropped so drastically, but taking money out of the economy is an undesirable side effect of this with its own negative economic consequences, not an end in itself.

Incidentally, only full Ministers are members of the Government. Others may be members of government parties, but that's not the same. Article 28 of the Constitution.

I didn’t hear that... so she’s off the list and Seamus Brennan is dead so....

Don't really know much about him, but when Eamon Ryan is interviewed on the Last Word he comes across quite well.

For comical value alone, its gotta be Willie O'Dea!!

[broken link removed]

[broken link removed]​

Maire Hoctor....on Prime Time tonight?

I disagree. The tv glitch aside on Prime Time, she came across as having a few lines learnt off that she was saying no matter what she was asked. She had no commitment behind what she was saying and she looked embarrased at what she was saying as if she clearly didn't believe it.

Back