Could an attic not be suitable for storage?

Darth Vader

I have a mid terrace, timberframe house. The attic is not suitable for conversion due to the placement of the support beams. However, it is a big attic and I intended to use it for storage. Nothing out of the ordinary, just your usual christmas decorations, old childrens toys and clothes, that type of thing. However, someone told me that attics in new housing developments, especially timber framed houses, are not built to carry any extra weight whatsoever and I wouldnt be able to put anytihng up in the attic. Could this be true?

someone told me that attics in new housing developments, especially timber framed houses, are not built to carry any extra weight whatsoever

thats nonsense - I'm not a structural engineer and can't comment on your house specifically, but as a blanket statement about timber-frame houses, its not true.

As a general rule, if an attic is built without flooring you should consider that it has not been designed as a storage space. That should be your starting position.

That said, most roof spaces are over-engineered, often to a considerable extent, and can be adapted to permit some storage. Unless you know something about building, it is safest to avoid putting anything heavy in the roof space.

[Ask yourself another question: if you put something in the attic, what are the chances that you will ever take it out?]

Unless you know something about building, it is safest to avoid putting anything heavy in the roof space.

Ask yourself another question: if you put something in the attic, what are the chances that you will ever take it out?"

Very true but like I said I'm only thinking of things like christmas decorations and the like, nothing that I would have thought would be too heavy. I might get in touch with the original Developer and see what he says.

If the attic can't take the weight of a few Xmas decorations then I'd be worried about living in it full stop!

Our traditionally built house is now about 60 years old. The attic had timbers which in my view were too light to carry much weight so I screwed 2" x 2" timber on top of them. I then screwed 3/4" boards on top of the new wood.

I use the loft for storage without any problem.
I should also point out that we have a combination boiler for heating and hot water and therefore have no water tanks in the loft to worry about in terms of freezing.
Should you go a similar route to mine you will need to ensure that a timber framed house will carry the additional weight, and that any tanks in the loft are protected from possible freezing.

Back