Costs of refurbishing a "fixer-upper"

CreNaCille

Just viewed a house. Asking price €350,000. 1250 st feet approx. 4 bed. I like the location and think the house has good potential.

But........it's in serious need of refurbishment. The house was occupied by students and has all the signs of student accommodation. So to bring up to a decent standard I'd probably have to gut every room and paint, put down new floors, re-tile bathrooms, replace old fixtures and fittings etc etc

I think I might also need to replace the windows and improve the house insulation.

It needs a new kitchen.

So my question is - how much will this cost me? I'm at a loss to guesstimate given that I've no experience of owning a house
Any ideas?

Dublin or Donegal? Also be aware that supply and demand in building trade is starting to balance off in recent weeks.

Anyhow, if planned properly with a defined plan, and by direct labour, you can save yourself thousands.

Planned properly, direct labour, no structural work, ex-Dublin, and modest tastes, I would say €50k would be a safe bet.

Thanks for the replies - especially Tarquin's detailed costing.

The house is in Galway city.

The windows are double-glazed but are old and may also need to be replaced.

I'm tempted by it - but fear it may turn into a money pit. I think I would need to be able to buy it for a good deal less than the asking price.

Back