Costs not covered by med. card

pops

Both of my elderly parents have medical cards and both were separately told by their GP that they needed an overnight blood pressure monitor. Not until they returned the monitor were they told that the medical card didn't cover this, and they had to pay out €50 (each).

Is this the normal practice? Isn't a customer/client/patient supposed to be told what a procedure or service costs before agreeing to it?

My mother (who also has a medical card) had to pay for the monitor recently too - she was told beforehand that she had to pay herself as the card didn't cover the cost. She also had to pay before she got the monitor rather than on its return!

At least she was forewarned - what did they think she was going to do with it anyway?! It just seems very unfair as older people will not question either the charge or the fact that they might not really need it. My mother for example has never had high blood pressure in her life!

My mam had one of these, didn't think she paid though. I will give her a shout and get back to you.

Hi Pops...

I've often had to use the 24hr BP monitor from my GP's surgery... I too am a Medical Card holder, and I've never been asked to pay for using it... They do ask that you provide a new set of batteries 'if you think of it, not to worry if you don't'...

I don't know if they're permitted to make such a charge... It wouldn't do any harm to call the HSE Information Helpline to enquire... Freephone 1800 520520...

This service wouldn't be covered by the medical card Darthvader, so if you were not charged, it was at the discretion of the GP, and they are providing a service for which they are not being paid.

The GP should have discussed this with your parents first though Pops, as there would be another (free )option. They could have been referred to their local hospital to have this test done, which they might have preferred to do?

Nicola

Thanks for the advice. Your gp does sound really decent Darthvader.

I spoke to the HSE and they basically said that it was up to the GP to charge or not. They should have been forewarned of extra costs, but there is no specific need to do so according to the HSE.

It strikes me as a bit of a racket as generally older people on medical cards will pay in cash, and it's not as if they can claim tax back either so won't ask for any receipts.

Back