Costs for 3 weeks in Oz

Fedupwtbs

A good friend is getting married in Bondi to a guy she met in Oz a couple of years ago in October 2014.

I am trying to figure out approximately how much it will cost for myself husband and two young kids (son- 5 years and daughter- 16 months at the time of travel) to travel for 3 weeks including flights, accommodation and spending money.

Any thoughts appreciated....

I'd say about €12,000....but this is just my opinion..other posters may have thoughts on how you could make the trip for less.

Air fares from Dublin would be about €5,500, that would cover economy freedom fares which would be
a safer bet when travelling with very young children.

Accommodation in Bondi in a serviced apartment or short stay house let would be in the region of $200/$250 per night.

Spending money would have to include groceries, public transport, eating out, etc. so $200 a day would be a realistic budget. An example of public transport cost would be a multi day pass for the family ...around €50.

You also have travel insurance to consider...

I'd say the cheapest you'd be able to get the airfares for would be around 3000 ... Assuming a base fare of about 1000 and the older child paying 2/3 fare and the infant 10% (as they won't get a seat themselves)

October isn't super high season, but it's not low season either

Australia when you get there is very expensive these days (recent declines in the Aus$ haven't made that much difference - yet!)

I wouldn't disagree with the costs on accommodation and living expenses that Ann1 mentions below - if anything accommodation might be a little bit more.

The only thing I guess I'd say is that if you're going to Australia you're probably not going to want to sit around a serviced apartment in Sydney for 3 weeks .. Sydney is a lovely city, but there's so much more to Australia that it would be a shame not to see (but obviously that costs money as distances are big etc)

Thanks for the replies folks..will bear this,information in mind.

12k is a bit much to travel for a wedding. Our own wedding costs slightly more than this. But I suppose also it's a once in lifetime trip.

Just wondering also about the temperatures in October/November bearing in mind 2 young kids travelling with us.

Just wondering also about the temperatures in October/November bearing in mind 2 young kids travelling with us.

You'll be heading into summertime in Sydney then, but you should be early enough to avoid any extreme heat (which is more likely around January time) .. you'd expect nice weather at that time of year - highs probably in the upper 20s on average and a decent bit of sunshine ... Should be a good time of year to go I would have thought

The wife got a return flight last week with Etihad to Sydney for €850 in October when the weather is nice. Bondi can be expensive though - about AUD2k a week rental.

Back