Cost of putting in electric shower

jenolan

Hiya,

Would anyone have an idea of the cost involved in putting in an electric shower? At the moment there's just a Pump Shower so would need to be plumbed for electric shower and I take it tiling etc will need to be redone aswell?

Also can anyone recommend someone to do this in the Greystones area?

Thanks

AFAIK, you'll need an electrician, a plumber and a tiler to do this... The electrics must be spot on for showers....water and electricity do not good partners make!

hey i have done a couple of showers in houses for friends here in limerick,a triton t90si will cost you around €250,the plumbing bits(pipe and fittings) will cost around €30 and you need an rcd(residual current device)fitted into your fuse box down stairs €30.you also need to run wire (at least 10mm sq size twin and earth cable)from the fusebox to your shower with a 50 amp pull cord switch on the ceiling outside the bathroom door€50.these prices are just for materials so if you can get someone who knows what they are at it should cost around €250 labour but it depends a lot on who you get!!

if your in Dublin give this guy a ring,0863544311,fully insured sparks,ran all the electrics for me for 300 euro,i checked and 100 of that was materials,cheaper than other quotes i had.

Couple of points here. You're better off with an RCBO for a shower circuit.

Barryfitz, when you say at least 10mil, what other size did you have in mind? 10mil t&e will carry any load you are likely to need for a shower circuit. 6mil will handle up to about 9kW, but you're better off putting in 10mil when doing the job to future proof it.

Also, there's no need to use a ceiling pull switch outside a bathroom, use a wall switch!

Check out this previous thread.

Jenolan, you'll need to feed an electric shower from the mains. Is the current one mains or tank fed? I'm presuming the latter. If you get a good plumber, they may be able to re-use the existing pipework and connect this to the mains in order to save having to remove your tiles.
Leo

if you already have an electiic shower in the house you will need to increase the electricity supply to the house in our case we had to dig the road and it cost over £1000 punts

Brian Fitzpatrick is in greystones and did my electric shower, think the commpany name is Fitzpatrick bros. Excelelnt job and good value

if you already have an electiic shower in the house you will need to increase the electricity supply to the house in our case we had to dig the road and it cost over £1000 punts

Was this because you were intending to run both showers at the same time? I've not heard of having to do this to put in two showers.

OP, is your shower area already fully tiled? I don't think you would need to re-tile if so. I've just installed an electric shower into my bathroom, removing the existing shower-tap-mixer-thing (not sure of the technical term!). There were a couple of holes in the tiles from where the old shower was, but I filled these in with tile grout.

Was this because you were intending to run both showers at the same time? I've not heard of having to do this to put in two showers.

On a standard electrical supply you can only operate one shower at the time . If have more than one instant electric shower fitted you need to fit a control box at the fuseboard to prevent both showers operating at the same time ( Electrical building regs ).

Aprox cost of unit is €275.00 .

Reason :Standard esb supply : 60 Amp.
Uprated domestic esb supply : 80 Amp

9.5 KW Shower will use 42 Amps
So uprated domestic supply will not operate 2 showers together.

Min required supply to operate both showers together is 120 Amps

E900 ex vat supply and fit i was charged but he certified the house also. Make sure he certs the shower its important!

Back