cost of new build

Feardorcha

I sent a set of plans to contractor friday evening & he rang me today with a quote,thought it was very quick & told him so,he said it was just a rough estimate per sq ft, 310,000e he reckons,told him to take a run & jump

Whats the square footage of the house and where are you located? Is it single story dormer or two story?

At that price I would hope it is about 4,500 sq ft, coming in at 70 Euro a sq foot. That would be a very good price.

It may sound a bit off the wall but I spoke with a builder the other day who had heard of €50 p/ sq ft. I can't see how the materials alone would be bought for this but this guy had no reason to lie. Scary to think what kind of shortcuts would be taken to bring that house in on budget.

I had to reply to this. I would really urge you to shop around a lot. In the last few weeks we have been pricing blocklayers and there is a 100% difference betwn the cheapest dearest, same goes for other trades and they were all local to our area in the west.

Shop around or hire a manager and get them to do it.

Good luck

J

Whats the square footage of the house and where are you located? Is it single story dormer or two story?
sorry should've said 2500 sq ft in south east, basic enough bungalow,124 per sq ft,thought it was bloody april fool's!! Gave my plans to builders suppliers 3 months ago & got a price of just over 48,000 for all materials,he must be some builder!

€124 p sq ft. It's either one quirky house or that builder just came from a 2 year holiday and didn't hear about the recession!

he is at least 30 euros a sq ft too much..get some more quotes,but make sure you get references.still some cow boys left out there..keep us up dated.we are blocking the up stairs and should have it roofed in a month.so good luck.where you based,if your in the west i can give you a few numbers,of builders living in the real world..

I'm down the south east, if this fool thinks people are gonna employ him at those prices he's living on diff planet,was hoping quotes would come in between 70-80 a sq ft

They should. Friends of mine in Baltinglass recently got a quote from a reputable builder of 78/ft2. He got the job.

Now thats more like it,will prob go direct labour but if a contractor came in with a price close to what i could do it direct then i'd go with them,built a house direct before & i know how hard it can be

Got a quote of 82 euro per sq. foot for a 2,500 sq foot house. That price includes practically everything including a very high energy rating spec.

My build will cost €75 per sq ft for the basic build, if I add the extra bits I want then it comes in at €104 per sq ft. It a 2700 sqft double story in Cork.

The extras include, concrete floors & stairs, UFH, a garden log cabin complete with top of range hot tub & sauna, ICF, air tight build.

i am going with a Project Manager in the South East. Reputable and have got a number of references and seen his work. Hope to save considerably Vs contractor. i can give you details if you like.
Only disadvantages as i see it are - you need to provide your own insurance and there is more trust involved as you are taking on the resposibility of the build. i.e. there is no contract with a contractor to oversee the complete build.

i am going with a Project Manager in the South East. Reputable and have got a number of references and seen his work. Hope to save considerably Vs contractor. i can give you details if you like.
Only disadvantages as i see it are - you need to provide your own insurance and there is more trust involved as you are taking on the resposibility of the build. i.e. there is no contract with a contractor to oversee the complete build.

I will be starting a new build and I also am in the south east. Who is the Project Manager and how much will he/she cost?

Guys on the PM route - what are costsworking out for thr PM?

Is it flat cost, % of build or what

Thanks

Just got second quote today-200,000e!! Thats a difference of 110 grand from the first quote,how the hell are some of these guys getting work

...I'm afraid I don't think this is a case of apples for apples.

In recent weeks, for the same house, quotes have varied from Eur 323k to 403k to 609k.

The cost for the structure, in all cases, was identical. The reason for the differences in the end price is all down to spec. So, for any more than 1 quote to make sense, they have to be quoting against an actual specification. Throwing planning drawings at a builder and telling him you want an 'efficient' house isn't worth the paper it's written on, tbh...

You need to, and the quoting builders need to, get into specifics.

For example, current build to A-rating around here is in the 85-105 per sq ft range. Do the 70 sq ft prices above include: driveways, kerbing, treatment plants, landscaping etc etc? If not, then they are not indicative, as the 105 price is inclusive of such detail.

And, fwiw, QS's are quoting completely off-the-wall pricing. Again, a recent example saw the house quoted by builder (by self..) #1 at 316k, and by builder #2 (calc'd by a QS) at Eur 475k. Windows alone, for an allegedly identical spec (triple-glazed alu-clad) ranged from 27k to 39k to 50k, across 3 suppliers.

There is way, way too much vagueness and variance in quoted prices for any of them to be taken as actually indicative of......anything.

No more than the person who told me lately he can build a 3700 sq ft, A-rated, HRV'd, airtight, triple-glazed house for......Eur 240k. Simply, impossible. And people will start such projects, and they will go pear-shaped, and people will get angry/upset/litigous......all because the groundwork - the research - isn't thorough.

If the price is too good to be true: it usually is !!

OP, I think your original builder, at 310k, is working off a formula - I doubt very much if any calculation went into it. And if you didn't get asked any questions about your spec, I'd be suspicious..........

In general, I think you'll find that you will get exactly what you pay for, and not a bit more. Do not expect 100 sq ft quality for 70 sq ft pricing. The country is littered with examples of people who talked themselves into the 'impossible dream' and nearly went nuts in the meantime. For instance: what are the guarantees of performance from your 70 sq ft builder? A builder who thinks that upping insulation spec from 75mm to 100mm in the floors (or similar) as the cure to all ills is just a disaster waiting to happen. If they don't have a stake in the project, then they'll just tell you what you want to hear.........ultimately, they won't be living in it..........and I doubt if they'll be posting you a cheque annually for your fuel, either..........

Thanks galwaytt, The thing that gets to me is the first guy just gave me a quote over the phone,no spec nothing,at least the second guy called to my house and went through everything,told me everything would be done except painting,kitchen,tiling. First builder-124 sq ft, second builder-80 sq ft & then the brother-in law,whose a QS telling me 60 sq ft!! I know the cheapest is not always the best but how can there be so much difference from 3 different people

Back