Cost of having a baby

Kiwi

From my personal experience(7 weeks ago), I would go private without a shadow of a doubt. I would also go to Holles Street rather than mount carmel.

In the unlikely event that there is a small difficulty, Holles Street is the best equipped to deal with your problem hands down.

Private care does not give you a whole lot of difference before the bundles of joy are born but after it, boy are there differences. I think your wife will be quite exhausted after giving birth to twins and 5 or 6 days in a private room the Merrion Wing in Holles Street in peace and quiet would really help. The staff are amazing because they are only dealing with a small number of patients and very very attentive.

The likelihood is your wife will have to go through a c section, after this as my wife was she will be very sore and not very mobile. You will not question the money once you have experienced how the three most precious people in your life are being treated.

I would also go with a private doctor, we were scanned somewhere in the region of 12 times during my wife's pregnancy and there was no signs of complications. Some hospitals when you go public from what i hear scan you once or twice. I know this sounds like no big deal but as you get more and more emotionally involved during the pregnancy the scans are a great way to put your mind at ease that every is ok and to really see the progression. It is a time to remember and enjoy.

If you have any questions or want a recommendation of the doctor we used feel free to get back in touch with me.

All the best
Bag

Probably a bit late with the recommendation, bagoftricks, as by now I suspect the babies have probably already been born. Thread started in March.
If kiwijbob is out there, any news?

If I am pregnant again, I will not got for private consultant. I did not get the service with the money I paid for. Did you have gurantee that you surely will have private room? In my case, they told me due to limite of private room, they have first come first serve...

My wife and I recently found out that we are expecting our second child, due in June 2008 :D
We are having the baby in Rotunda Hospital.

I am on the HealthManager scheme with Quinn Healthcare. When I called to query about the semi-private options, she mentioned that the 600 euro deposit you pay during your first visit, you can claim 500 of this back?

I didn't realise this, but I think may be wrong.
Does anyone know if this is true?

Thanks
Mack​

www.rotunda.ie

[broken link removed]

PRIVATE PATIENTS

A booking deposit of €1000.00 is payable at first antenatal visit.

SEMI-PRIVATE PATIENTS

A non-refundable deposit of €600.00 is payable at first antenatal visit.
Some private health insurance policies may cover these. You should be able to claim MED1 tax relief on otherwise unreimbursed charges.

Cost of having twins can only be estimated on a 'perfect event' scenario. However, more care can and will be needed for a multiple pregnancy. We have VHI B Options, but chose to use public system when we had our twins. A lot of care was required through out the pregnancy and for the birth and aftercare. I dread to think what it would have cost had we gone the private route. Good care and attention, using public system. Kids are now 3 and doing grand :)

Last edited:
Cost of having twins can only be estimated on a 'perfect event' scenario. However, more care can and will be needed for a multiple pregnancy. We have VHI B Options, but chose to use public system when we had our twins. A lot of care was required through out the pregnancy and for the birth and aftercare. I dread to think what it would have cost had we gone the private route. Good care and attention, using public system. Kids are now 3 and doing grand :)

I thought that the consultants work on a fixed-fee basis, regardless of the amount of care required. My wife had a very difficult pregnancy, with 3 or 4 emergency hospitalisations at Holles St and at least fortnightly checks with the consultant. I reckon he lost his shirt on our baby, but he more than gained it back with the other more routine pregnancies that he dealt with. When you see your consultant listed as an investor in the Four Seasons Hotel, you don't lose too much sleep over his financial status. I was hoping he might offer us a night in the hotel, but no such luck....

Back