Cost of Brittany Ferries around €1,800 mark gone up a lot?

Giggsey

Looking to book Brittany ferries, Cork - Roscoff return for summer 2008.

Coming in around 1800 mark....
Has this gone up a lot? Can't remember exactly but taught it was nearer 1000 mark last year....

Maybe fly/drive is the better option now?

Re: Cost of Brittany Ferries.

Brittany ferries is more expensive than Irish ferries or Stena line by sometimes EUR 300. We used to travel all the time on Irish ferries but had some many trouble with them the last time we used them than we switch to Brittany ferries.
Trouble encountered with Irish ferries were cancellation, delay and staff who did not speak either English or French.

Cabin prices have risen hugely with Brittany Ferries in the past 2 years... Now that the new Irrish Ferries ship is coming on stream, it will be interesting to see what the quality is like compared to that sh*t heap Normandy

Looking to book Brittany ferries, Cork - Roscoff return for summer 2008.

Coming in around 1800 mark....
Has this gone up a lot? Can't remember exactly but taught it was nearer 1000 mark last year....

Maybe fly/drive is the better option now?
I would say that is what I normally get quoted.

Fly drive is a much better option...

For me to get to the South of France, it would cost me 1800 in ferry, a few hundred in overnight stays and all that fuel & tolls. I can fly & hire a car for 2 weeks for just over 1000 and get there at least a day earlier

I can't remember the exact details but Mrs Gel did a comparison recently for summer 2008 and Irish Ferries was much cheaper, more sailings and a new(ish) boat. however as tosullivan says the fly drive option is much better or if you don't mind the driving the landbridge option is far cheaper.

Maybe there isn't enough real competition on the Ireland-France route. Why don't any of the carriers go to different ports say down the West coast where most of us end up driving to anyway? Another gripe - the food on both boats is either dire or very expensive. Paying these prices should entitle us to having meals provided.

I just did a price check on the new Irish Ferries ship "Oscar Wilde" for the dates I would be travelling next year and it came in at €785 and thats including the 4 berth 2 star cabin. Go to 4 star cabin with window and its just €1k.

When we travelled over 3yrs ago this would have set us back about €1600 for the same times....

Irish Ferries have seriously slashed their prices in a bid to get customers back that have defected to Brittany. I think I will consider them for 2009. I have a feeling though these prices wont stay low forever and once people start talking about the new ship, the prices will be on a par with Brittany. The fact that Irish ferries travels more frequently than Brittany is also more appealing

Irish Ferries price reduction is interesting....its great to see what competition can do.

Fly-drive definitely seems to have advantage, with travel time being a big plus. On other side you have convenience of your own car full with gear (airline baggage allowance now means you can not pack kitchen sink...) and no barrel of cheap wine coming home....so there is 2 sides.

Back