Cost of a Rock Shandy: <rant about the price of soft drinks in pubs>

dewdrop

Last Sunday in a rural pub in co. cork i paid 4.80 Euro for a Rock Shandy ( 2 minerals in a pint glass). A pint of Beamish was 3.50. No wonder people drink.

Re: Cost of a Rock Shandy

My occasional treat of a bag of chips didn't digest too well when I had to pay €2.50 for a single. I had just purchased 10 kilos of washed Rooster potatoes earlier in the day from the local greengrocer for €3.99.
Are chippers a law on to themself?

In fairness to the chipper - they had to wash, peel & cut the potaoes, heat the oil, pay for staff, premises, equipment, insurance, bags etc. So I don't think they are too expensive & if they are anything like my local chipper one bag is easily enough for 2 people.

Thats assuming they were "real" chips as opposed to frozen.

The country has a massive problem with drink & this type of pricing is a disgrace.Buying minerals in pubs is a rip off.

The cost to Coca Cola in producing one of the small bottles of coke in a pub is....wait for it....1c. I love mark-up :D

Not really I'm afraid. I imagine though Coke -> Wholesaler -> Pub would be the process, so say Coke sell for 75c, wholesaler sell 150c and pub sell for 250c. Remember though, these are the highest prfoit margin items in a pub I think.

I worked for McDonalds in my youth (12 odd years ago now) and they bought coke in as a syrup. The cost of providing a drink by McD's was literally in the order of a few pence, no matter what size the customer ordered, mostly made up of the packaging involved (Or so I was informed by the manager). The margin was therefore huge, and only helped by the amount of ice thrown in as well. I imagine therefore that the margins are similar for a publican.

The component costs of providing a rock shandy are irrelevant. The price that the pub next door, or the one down the street, charges, is relevant and I doubt you'd find a significant difference.

If you think being a publican is a licence to print money, go ahead and do it for yourself :rolleyes:.

The component costs of providing a rock shandy are irrelevant. The price that the pub next door, or the one down the street, charges, is relevant and I doubt you'd find a significant difference.

If you think being a publican is a licence to print money, go ahead and do it for yourself :rolleyes:.

Oh I agree entirely. A business owner is entitled to charge whatever they like for their goods. Its a pity they price themselves out of customers though - since I moved to Ireland I have found myself going out rarely. In the UK I went to nice country pubs where a mineral would be priced about £1 - £1.50, and a rock shandy would have been about £2 - 3 which made being the designated driver much more bearable. The last time I was out with my workmates here (I think back in April) we were given drink vouchers worth €4.50. I had to pay extra to get a rock shandy.

In fairness to the chipper - they had to wash, peel & cut the potaoes, heat the oil, pay for staff, premises, equipment, insurance, bags etc. So I don't think they are too expensive & if they are anything like my local chipper one bag is easily enough for 2 people.

Thats assuming they were "real" chips as opposed to frozen.

The guy selling the roosters also had to pay for the above. Maybe he didn't have any oil to heat or cut the potatoes but still. I think that most chippers buy in the potatoes peeled?
Last time I was in the same chipper I paid €2.20 for a single. With everyone else dropping prices I wonder why the chippers aren't dropping their prices.

Last time I was in the same chipper I paid €2.20 for a single. With everyone else dropping prices I wonder why the chippers aren't dropping their prices.

Did you write the manager a letter stating your disappointment at this and indicate that you will be taking your custom elsewhere (you own kitchen!) unless the prices are returned to their original level?

Going out to the pub and moreso for a meal, for example on a sunday lunchtime is insanely expensive, I feel embarrassed when friends from the UK visit here and we go out.
A couple of weeks ago as a family of five our sunday lunchtime bill was €90 for a very nice lunch and drinks.
Last week in the UK we went for lunch at a Pub carveryin Nottingham... meal drinks and pretty much the same as we enjoyed in Ireland came to a grand total of €27.
I understand fully that the chain of events leads ultimately to unavoidably high prices but it still baffles me how there can in these times be such an enormous difference.

You cant argue with Value for money when you can buy a roast dinner, that you plate up yourself (and can go back for seconds) with a pint for five pounds sterling.

Did you complain to the manager? Or just moan about it here?

You cant argue with Value for money when you can buy a roast dinner, that you plate up yourself (and can go back for seconds) with a pint for five pounds sterling.

JD Wetherspoons?

No not wetherspoons, more good value but the beer is poor in a wetherspoons from my experience.

Let’s face it, alcohol is so cheap (and with the lowering of the tax gets even cheaper) because it’s the drug of choice in this country and it ensures that the masses are kept under control.

While I’m all for the right of a business owner to set his own prices (because I can vote with my feet to go where I think I can get value for money), I think that we should ensure that for example the designated driver gets the nonalcoholic drinks at least for the same price as the alcohol his friends are drowning their sorrow in.

Ireland is (according to the NCA) the most expensive country in the EU15 for alcoholic and non-alcoholic beverages and I’m sure there is enough margin in the non-alcoholics that at least level the playing field.

At the same time we might also follow other countries and limit the drink specials. In some countries you can’t sell alcoholic beverages for less than you paid for them and free or complimentary drinks are illegal.

Back