Cook Book Recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.

newseeker1

Hi
Anyone recommend a good good book for someone who not a great cook/novice cook but looking for simple easy to do receipes covering starters, main, desserts

There are so many around that havent clue what would be a good one to go with

Any thoughts?

Jamie Oliver - I particularly liked his Ministry of Food book - terrific simple family food. He takes all the mystery out of it and just shows you how to take simple ingredients and cook them well. He gives you confidence by keeping it simple and reminding you that its not rocket science. Its just care and a bit of attention.

His website is also very good for recipes.

Confirmed foodie speaking here!

mf

Delia Smith's Cookbook. Good variety of easy to follow recipes which are more or less impossible to mess up.

I love Nigella Express. Very well laid out with great photos and easy step by step cooking guide. Plus the ingredients are usually stuff you would have. I use it alot and the cheesecake recipe is a fave which gets great compliments and literally takes 10 mins just to beat together ingredients and make. I have often taken a few cook books out of the libarary, they have sooo many, and come home to flick through them. That's where I saw Nigella Express and decided it was worth buying.
I have lots of cookbooks, Nigella Express is my fave. My other essential is Ballymaloe Cookery Course which just covers every single recipe you could imagine.

My wife bought Nevin Maguire's book and raves about it. She has made some dishes from it and reckons it is easier to follow than other cook books. She also uses the Avoca cook book.

There's a monthly magazine called Easy food (i think?) it's 3 euro and has nice recipes and usually with fairly ordinary ingredients that you'd probably have at home. Jamie Oliver's new book is good too (spain, italy, morrocco) and neven maguires food from the sun has some lovely stuff.

I am the cookbook queen, even though I have to adapt many of the recipes as I am going low carb.

Can recommend Neven Maguire, Home Chef. I have my personally autographed copy! His receipes are always easy to follow. I went to a cook off with him as guest recently and it was great craic. If I am having people over to dinner I would also look up New Irish Cookery by Paul ad Jeanne Rankin or Darina Allen's Ballymaloe Cookery Course.

I prefer Rachel Allen's books than Rachel Allen on TV - all picture and no sound works better in my opinion.

Have looked at the Easy Food Mag a couple of times and yes it is fairly basic, but I would think tasty enough!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back