Conveyancy fees

Citizen Jake

About to bid for a house and ringing around for conveyancy quotes from various solicitors. First solicitor has come back with a quote that amounts to about 2,300 all in. This sounds very steep as I thought on average it could cost around 1,000 or thereabouts. Is this solicitor taking the ****

Jake

Bear in mind that you are paying the solicitor to look after your interests and identify any potential problems with contracts, title, etc. If your solicitor heads off anything like this before it becomes your problem, €2,300 will seem very cheap!

The less you are paying, presumably the less effort the solicitor will be inclined to devote to your transaction. Doesn't necessarily mean the more you pay the better service you will get, but nor would I choose a solicitor on price alone. Get recommendations from others who have used the solicitors you are considering.

"Bear in mind that you are paying the solicitor to look after your interests and identify any potential problems with contracts, title, etc. If your solicitor heads off anything like this before it becomes your problem, €2,300 will seem very cheap!" - you may be right. J

I think €2,300 isn't too bad at all - but do shop around and I completely agree - get recommondations from friends/relatives. The norm is 1% of the purchase price (plus VAT plus outlays) so do your sums using that....but you may get around 0.5/0.7% from some Solrs (especially if you say friend/relative recommended them). Or if you're using a broker, as them if they can recommend someone.

Yes, the whole thing, including VAT

Jake, check out [broken link removed]. I am using their Cavan branch at the moment to purchase a property in Drogheda. Although I have`nt got the final bill yet, I believe it will be less than €2,000. You cannot expect much better nowadays

"I would be wary of anyone offering to undertake a transaction for less than €2,300 including VAT and outlays to be honest."

Actually, given the overall trend of client expectations for solicitors fees to go south of E1K max, that fee could be closer to E1600.00 plus VAT of E336.00 plus outlays of E360.00 ish . Do able if the property is unregistered title.

I still prefer the idea of going on recommendation over price. Within reason.

mf

Deduct the outlays such as Searchs and Land Registry Fees and then deduct the VAT from that as the Solicitor does not get these.

Then see if he is worth it. As other posters says dont go on Price alone Look for recommendations

The Professional Insurance Brokers Association () have a panel of solicitors nationwide who will undertake a conveyance for €995 + VAT + outlays if you are getting your mortgage from a PIBA broker.

Liam D. Ferguson
www.ferga.com

Back