Conveyancing

TheManWho

Hi folks - just wondering if anyone has any tips on the cheapest solicitor in\around the Dublin area for conveyancing?

I see a good few offering fix price conveyancing. Most specify fix price for legal fees and then "outlays" are extra.

I'm not clear on exactly what "outlays" are. I know it includes some fees that are nothing to do with the solicitors costs - is this the full list?

1) Land Registry fees
2) Searches
3) Stamp duty
4) Commissioner for Oaths charges

Apart from (3) - are these a fixed price? or are dependent on property price (assuming property between 300-400K)

Some solicitors seem to include things like "miscellaneous outlays", this looks like it is just their own costs for posting etc.?

I've used Dermot Deane, Mespil House, Sussex Rd, D2 for a recent purchase. €980 + vat + searches/fees = €1,900 in total.
Only had to meet him the once for all the signing etc. Then again to get the keys.
No frills, basic but thorough service.

I used this crowd when buying an apartment a few years ago:

There were very competitive at the time. Satisfied customer. I only had to meet them once which suited me down to the ground.

Offices not the most salubrious but that was of little concern to me!

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll check them out.

Does anyone know if the list of outlays I have above is the complete list?

Except for stamp duty, are all other outlays fixed price?

I would like to work out the cost of everything a solicitor will charge me.

I think you have included everything on your list. However, solicitors will also charge you "miscellaneous" stuff such as photocopying, etc. I have a quote from a solicitor to sell one property and buy another. He has quoted me €100 for photocopying!

Say we are talking about a new build between 300 - 400k, where a mortgage is required. Do the costs below look accurate?

1) Land Registry fees
I'm not clear on this cost from the source below. Any thoughts?

From some research it sounds like there's a charge for registering your mortgage? A charge based on the value of the property? And different charges if it is the first time a property has been registered?

I had a look here at the prai website. It seems a property 300-400k would be €700

2) Searches
€100.00-€150.00.

3) Stamp duty
New property - this is 1% of 86.5% of the property price up to €1m

4) Commissioner for Oaths charges
€12 - €25

Also, is it reasonable to ask a solicitor for a fully itemised quotation up front before agreeing to use their services? By fully itemised, I mean items (1) - (4) above, and their professional fees all listed separately.

Hi just to let people know it costs 5euro to do your own search and starting at ten euros for land registry. sorry but it's a fact.

Also, is it reasonable to ask a solicitor for a fully itemised quotation up front before agreeing to use their services? By fully itemised, I mean items (1) - (4) above, and their professional fees all listed separately.

I'm sure a solicitor will tell you the prices but these are not set by him so it's not so important. You seem very exercised by this, is money tight? Your solicitor is legally obliged to give you a written quotation of his fee.

Two frequent posters have given you the names of two good solicitors, if you don't have any better idea of who, I'd go with them.

Thanks for the replies. If anyone can help clear up the costs of land registry fees for the scenario I've outlined that would be great (new build,300-400k, mortgage required)

I would say it is common sense to research before spending your money. Possibly some are happy to blindly take a bill from a solicitor and accept it, but each to their own. There's room in the world for all our approaches.

Indeed. However, is it wise to seek out the cheapest solicitor?

What about the cheapest doctor, dentist, tax adviser, or architect?

Surely price should not be the determining factor?

Yes if anyone has tips on the cheapest solicitor in the Dublin area for conveyancing I would be interested.

Also interested on outlay breakdown, in particular land registry for the example in my previous post.

Yes if anyone has tips on the cheapest solicitor in the Dublin area for conveyancing I would be interested.

Also interested on outlay breakdown, in particular land registry for the example in my previous post.

But two posters already recommended a reasonable priced solicitor. How much is 'cheap' in your opinion?

Why don't you send an email to the land registry for the fees or look them up online, I'm sure they have a price list.

Yes, I already did some research on land registry prices. It wasn't clear to me the charges for the scenario outlined. So hopefully someone here will be familiar and have helpful information.

Back